First AG, BIAB w/ NB double crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtswkd

Reaction score
Just did my first BIAB AG brew and everything looks great! Its a NB Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter kit. Hit mash temps exactly, lost 1.5 degrees in 70 minutes, overshot my mashout temp by 7 degrees but still wound up with 78.8% efficiency so not bad!

NB double crushed the grain for me and turned out great, I use a keggle, worked out really well for my first AG brew, wayyyy easier than i thought it was going to be.

My SG wound up at 1.052, target was 1.058 so not too bad, I wound up with a little more than 5 gal so it is expected that the SG would be a little low.

Next time starting with .8 gal less than beersmith says (did .3 less this time) and then will add top off water if need be.

Overall went smooth and can attribute that to all of the helpful threads here on homebrewtalk, the wealth of nfo here is amazing and helped me go from nothing to all-grain in a keggle in 4 batches! Thanks a lot!

I have an english mild in the freezer waiting its turn, gotta kill the american wheat in the keg then it will be time for the mild. Can't wait! In the meantime got my buddy to go get some ingredients for a dead guy clone and we'll be brewing that soon on my equipment and then bottling that one.

How did you get NB to double crush the grain? I getting ready to do their Surly Bender AG kit in a BIAB, but I didn't know they would double crush it.

I also finished my first all grain yesterday. Congrats on the efficiency mine came in low but thats cause i did a few things wrong. Not sure if i am getting better at brewing but i almost seamed easier to do all grain vs extract.

professorbrew said:
how did you get nb to double crush the grain? I getting ready to do their surly bender ag kit in a biab, but i didn't know they would double crush it.

+1

I call in my order. I get 10% off for military discount. The guy on the phone said he couldn't guarantee the packer would double crush but he put a note asking them to. When I do the mild ill take a pic of the crush

I placed an order with Midwest supplies. (2 kits)
They double crushed both - no crushing charge.

The thing they cant do is separate the grains into bags, since its pre mixed and bundled together. I was going to hold out the kilned grains from the mash

Latest posts

Back