Homebrew Supply Websites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on supporting your LHBS, they are small business and need the support of the community. Being a newbie, being able to walk in and talk to a real person about what I'm trying to do has really helped me figure stuff out. I do have to plug www.HomeBrewStuff.com because they are also my LHBS. :) They are really nice and have been great about helping me out with recipe tweaks, and ingredient/supply questions!
I agree about the buckets... you never know how bad someone scratched up the bucket with a putty knife. My Home Depot has food grade buckets for $4. Only problem is they're only 5 gal so be careful about fermenting in one. I added a $3 spigot from LHBS and now have a great sanitizing/bottling bucket for less than $10. I also got some free icing/filling buckets from the local bakery (for free) after seeing it suggested on here. They only had 3.5 gal, but they will be good for small batches or sanitizing.

Aiptasia prety much covered the rest, and you'll need a siphon, too. :mug:

Thanks everyone.. could've used the strainer... I can see my hops floating around right now.. as for the buckets, they never held any joint compound.. they just sell them at home depot with the lids for a lot cheaper than the LHBSs. Obviously there are advantages to the HB fermentors practically and i did notice a slight aftertaste in my first beer that was kind of plasticky. That is why i went with the water cooler jugs.. the only imediate potential problems that I see are that the color of the bottle is tinted blue so i really can't gauge the color of the beer, and the inset handle will make a nice little shelf for yeast and other sediment to settle on instead of with their buddies on the bottom. I bought the water because i wanted to use good tasting spring water and the jugs came with it so i thought what the hell? i will eventually switch to 6.5 carboys and keep the buckets for sanitizing. What do you folks prefer glass or plastic?

They are fine in my book. I never did a ship confirmation/tracking on my order that I placed on Sunday but It shipped Tuesday. Not bad for a nice size order.

I have always had great service and timely delivery when ordering from Midwest. The only complaint I have every had wad that they are not competitive on the shipping cost. Austin Home Brew only charges 6.99 and free for orders over 100.00. They also seem to be on the ball and ship very quickly.

In reprise... to actually answer the question, I started with a Better Bottle and I love it because it's light and really easy to work with. And I have a tendency to drop stuff.

Midwest seems to be dropping the ball lately on shipping. I have switched most of my ordering to Northern Brewer

In reprise... to actually answer the question, I started with a Better Bottle and I love it because it's light and really easy to work with. And I have a tendency to drop stuff.

+1 on the better bottle, +1 on the ease of use, +1000 on dropping stuff

I just had a friend open a shop in the Chicago Area called Chicago Brew Werks. Sorry I can't help on the Midwest order but consider swinging by their web page next time you are ordering ingredients.

This may have been mentioned before in this thread but I live in the Seattle area and I was wondering if anyone knew of a local home brew shop or even a local internet site.
Thank you for your time.

I am from South Jersey. Our LHBS is in a flea market and way over priced. The other nearest one I have been able to find is in Philly. Am I doomed to online shopping?

In my town in MN we have to brew shops. They're great for usual things like equipment and accessories, but also luck that I consider NB another local shop as they are located just 1 hour away. Love their service, and their kits are well assembled, great instructions, and you gotta love brewing TV!

Midwest seems to be dropping the ball lately on shipping. I have switched most of my ordering to Northern Brewer

Agreed. I just resurrected an old thread to point out that fact but I should've looked in this thread first! I've always received my NB orders within two days (sometimes the next day if I place my order early) and that's with their standard $7.99 shipping. I've now placed two orders with Midwest and both times it is a much slower process (for example I placed a large order there on Wednesday night and now it's Friday afternoon and the order still hasn't even shown up in my Recent Orders). No confirmation email from them or anything. Are they having employee problems there or something?

Edit: just off the phone with Midwest customer service and apparently they're having issues with Paypal not notifying them that payments have been accepted. So that might explain some of the delays people have had. The guy on the phone was helpful and said my order would be sent out ASAP and reach me tomorrow.

Edit #2: Well guess what, I didn't receive my order yesterday like Midwest customer service promised.

I love MoreBeer.com, and use them usually. I like AHS as well, and have had great experiences with both companies on the service end. MoreBeer reshipped a replacement bag of syrup no questions asked when I had one arrive with a leak/defective cap. AHS packed my yeast to me no charge for ice on their own out of their own good conscience. Shipping Free over 100$. I have had good equipment deals from KegConnection.com too.

HOWEVER, contrary to the quote in the OP, shipping on bulk is usually NOT Free at MoreBeer. I haven't ever seen it free actually, but free on everything else if over 59 bucks (which used to be 49 also). I was horrified on shipping and had to change my order after much planning to order bulk from them. (Product Does Not Qualify For Free Shipping) is usually on any bulk grain page on their site.

Just wanted to say a few nice words about Midwest. I originally started with the Feb. groupon offer and got my order just a few days after placing it. I had a problem with my order and within 25 minutes of sending an email I had some give me a call on a saturday afternoon to make sure my order was correct. In the groupon offer I recieved a $25 gift card/coupon so I redeemed it yesterday on an order for 2 AG kits, some mash stabilizer, DME and a few other small items. Again I screwed up my order and within 3 hours of sending an email asking if I could get my grains double crushed I had received a reply that it would be no problem. They also had a $5 dollar off $50 dollar order coupon to use also. Yeah shipping is higher than others but their customer service rocks!

what other sites are similar to what AHS lets you do with adding incremental amounts of different grains to a single grain bill and having them all milled and arrive in a package ready to go for brew day?

what other sites are similar to what AHS lets you do with adding incremental amounts of different grains to a single grain bill and having them all milled and arrive in a package ready to go for brew day?

I haven't used them (yet) but brewmasters warehouse seems to do something like what you are asking with the brewbuilder function.

pannell77 said:

That's the reason I go with Brewmasters Warehouse, too. Plus, I've become accustomed to their crush (which there is no charge, of course). You can keep your recipes in their database for re-ordering, also. Add all that to the cheap shipping and a discount code... you can't go wrong.

Here's a good thread for prices comparisons between popular stores:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/online-homebrew-supplier-comparison-thread-313337/

I bought four ball lock cornys from Adventures in Homebrewing. One had been banged up pretty good and leaked at the bottome seam. They were great about exchanging, they sent a new one and a return label to throw the old one in the box and send back. 39.00 each. I would like to put "plug" in for them.

Definitely want to add www.love2brew.com

We have:
  • Nationally Competitive Prices
  • FREE Daily Content (M-F)
  • Free Shipping over $75
  • The only National Supplier to carry East Coast Yeast

@Mods: Tried to log into the Wiki but it says I do not have access to create an account and set us up for an NJ shop.

I haven't followed this thread from the top, but recently gave Korny Keg a try for some grains, perhaps others have already suggested this. They have terrific prices and flat rate shipping, even on 50 lb. bags, etc. Not a ton of choices, but they do cover most of the basic stuff. I got some 2-row and Vienna from them, probably should have included a little crystal as the prices are nice on the specialty malts, too. http://www.cornykeg.com/index.asp?category=28847 Take a look.

pannell77 said:

I use keystone homebrew. They let you order down to .001pounds and will recipe mill grains in one bag if you prefer. Always friendly, helpful, and quick ti respond to questions.

Seems like Northern Brewer is no longer offering $7.99 flat rate shipping. No big deal, a couple extra bucks won't kill me, but what's discouraging is they've switched shipping companies and are now going with UPS, which is way more of a pain in the ass to deal with than FedEx or USPS.

but what's discouraging is they've switched shipping companies and are now going with UPS, which is way more of a pain in the ass to deal with than FedEx or USPS.

I think everybody's got a different opinion when it comes to shipping. I despise USPS because the fat lady can't be bothered to walk 20 feet to put the box at my doorstep. Sometimes I think that she air drops my parcels. I regularly find them in the driveway, on the pathway, in the yard.. Or sometimes just a card that tells me that they'll hold it at the post office and I have to go out of my way to pick it up. Argh.

MC

I did not realize we were not on the first page as an online retailer. We've been supporting HBT for 3 years could we please be added.
John

I was just on EBay and it looks like circulator pumps is selling March Pump for cheap!! i just searched March Pumps! got one for 50 bones and shipping to me today fo FREE!

I haven't followed this thread from the top, but recently gave Korny Keg a try for some grains, perhaps others have already suggested this. They have terrific prices and flat rate shipping, even on 50 lb. bags, etc. Not a ton of choices, but they do cover most of the basic stuff. I got some 2-row and Vienna from them, probably should have included a little crystal as the prices are nice on the specialty malts, too. http://www.cornykeg.com/index.asp?category=28847 Take a look.

I ordered some bulk grains from Korny Keg a couple of months ago to take advantage of their nice prices and flat rate shipping. Limited, but good, products and the flat rate shipping was a deal maker.

Yesterday I made up another order from these folks – about an $80.00 order — and when I went to seal the deal I could find no option for flat rate shipping. The shipping charge came to $25 plus. A "What The" moment. Perhaps I'm missing something, it appears the $7.99 flat has been eliminated.

For some specialty grains, though, they may still be a go to site, even with the standard ground shipping.

Back