Czech Premium Pale Lager Carlvar Pilsner (2B Bohemian Pilsner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saflager S-23 (2 pckg)
Yeast Starter
230 ml rehydration
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
approx 14 @ 46
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
d-rest 1 week @ 70
Additional Fermentation
lager 10 weeks @ 31
Tasting Notes
big mouthfeel, nice bitterness but smooth hop character from FWH
10# Weyermann Pilsner
1# Carapils

RO water; water adjustments with 1 gram calcium chloride, 0.5 gram epsom salts, 0.5 gram baking soda.

2 oz Saaz (4% AA) 90 mins (first wort)
1 oz Saaz (4% AA) 30 mins

infuse approx 1.6 q/#
protein rest 20 mins @ 130
maltose rest 40 mins @145 (decoction)
dextrinization rest 30 mins @ 159 (decoction)
mashout 15 mins @ 170 (decoction)

batch sparge
90 minute boil

Aerated 90 seconds with pure O2 through 0.5 micro diffusion stone.

This yeast moves slowly at cool temperatures. Not sure it would have gotten under the mid 1.020's if I didn't raise the temp for d-rest, but once I did it finished off strong.

I think this is a pretty solid Bohemian pils recipe. Used S-23 because I was pleased with it on my last Boh pils, but this time I went cool instead of warm (warm last time after reading this yeast is fruity at low temps). Next time I might make this recipe with W-34/70. The beer did not clear during lagering so I used gelatin after kegging and the beer dropped brilliantly clear.

**Gold Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)

boh pils.jpg

I just brewed this as a 3 gal BIAB, using WLP800. It’s currently chill in at 51 degF and seems to be going great. It was surprisingly easy to hit all my temps!
This is also my first lager. How long should I keep it at this temp? Is the d-rest before or after the lagering period?

The d-rest is before the lagering period. If you can take gravity readings, you want to do the d-rest when you are about 8 points above expected OG. I tend to just use 1.020 as a rule of thumb, except for higher gravity lagers. If it is difficult for you to do a d-rest, another rule of thumb is to do it once the krausen has mostly fallen.

Many people say you don't always need to do a d-rest, and that's definitely true. But it's not always easy to detect diacetyl, and it can get worse over time. There is also absolutely no downside to doing one. A lot of brewers say they never do them, never do them, never do them...until they get a d-bomb dumper. Advanced brewers can probably ascertain by taste whether a d-rest is necessary or not--but I do one every time regardless.

Do your d-rest in the primary; some people do 48 hours but I always do a week at least; then rack it to your secondary or keg and lager it there for as long as you can stand to wait. A rule of thumb is a week per eight gravity points, but not everyone is that patient and frankly it's probably overkill anyway.

Good luck!

Hello, would you change your recipe if you were not decocting? Thanks

If I am using a dialectal rest, do the yeast do any work during lagering? If the yeast are dormant can I add gelatin once the beer is cold crashed? Thanks.

If I am using a dialectal rest, do the yeast do any work during lagering? If the yeast are dormant can I add gelatin once the beer is cold crashed? Thanks.

IMO there is no need to leave the beer on the yeast once you have reached FG and after your d-rest. Having said that, it doesn't hurt anything either. Professional brewers would have the beer off the yeast quickly after fermentation completes AFAIK.

So yes, feel free to add gelatin after cold crashing.

Brewed up Friday night. The brew went well. I'll post results. Man was it hard to drop this beer to 48 before putting it into fermenter. Took 66 lbs of ice recirced through counterflow. Got near boil and realized my starsan was not returned from a buddy. Let her sit 30 mins at 200. Then boiled and got the starsan so I sanitized carboys. Used magnum to bitter and a little hallertau @ 60 mins. 1/2 oz. the rest saaz. My saaz arrived at 3.0 aa so I had to compromise best I could.

What fermentation temp did you like better? I'm doing a pils with s-23 soon and I'm not sure if I want to ferment around 57* or do it lower around 47*. I like really clean lagers with not many esters.

In general, the lower and slower, the cleaner. S-23 will work under 50 with a big pitch, but keep an eye on it and get ready to raise the temp as necessary to get it to finish off strong.

In general, the lower and slower, the cleaner. S-23 will work under 50 with a big pitch, but keep an eye on it and get ready to raise the temp as necessary to get it to finish off strong.

I have two packets so I should be good. I'll go a little lower and see how it turns out

I have two packets so I should be good. I'll go a little lower and see how it turns out

2 packs would be the minimum for 5g; be sure to rehydrate as per the manufacturer's instructions. I really would advise you to raise temps over 50 once you see fermentation slow significantly.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back