Vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully this is an easy one. I made Denny conns vanilla bean imperial porter a few weeks back and I am going to secondary with vanilla beans probably tommorow. My question is - how do I sanitize or sterilize the vanilla beans ? I assume I need too but would like some advise from those who have had expierence.

You can use campden tablets; they will sanitize the beans so you don't add anything that may cause an infection.
But to be honest, once you're past primary fermentation you probably don't have to worry about infection since the alcohol in the beer should protect the liquid.

Update: To be safe, though, you should sanitize the vanilla beans anyway with something like campden tablets. There is still a small risk and it is better to be on the safe end.

I've soaked mine with just enough vodka to cover the beans. Worked for me. Slice them length wise to get the full benefits of the beans!

YES on the vodka. Cut the beans length-wise, scrape out the gooey stuff inside, cut the beans into small pieces, then put ALL of that stuff (including the gooey stuff) into a jar with some vodka. If you can manage, keep this stuff in there for about a week, shaking a little daily.

If you can't wait that long, just do it overnight. The vodka will kill off the baddies and you can dump it all (vodka too) into your secondary. You could alternatively use whiskey or bourbon, if you prefer. I just like vodka because it's tasteless.

YES on the vodka. Cut the beans length-wise, scrape out the gooey stuff inside, cut the beans into small pieces, then put ALL of that stuff (including the gooey stuff) into a jar with some vodka. If you can manage, keep this stuff in there for about a week, shaking a little daily.

If you can't wait that long, just do it overnight. The vodka will kill off the baddies and you can dump it all (vodka too) into your secondary. You could alternatively use whiskey or bourbon, if you prefer. I just like vodka because it's tasteless.

you read my mind that was going to be my next post " how long " if I use vodka. Looks like I have to by nessasity be quick and do the 24 hour thing as I have to rack to secondary tommorow in order to get this in secondary for a week before I go away.

I made a chocolate milk stout that I added a Madagascar vanilla bean to. I sliced the bean length wise, then quartered and opened it up so all the "gooey" stuff inside was exposed. I put it in a small sanitized tupperware container and added enough cheap vodka to cover it. Left it in there for one week, and added it all to my secondary when racking. Even after more than a month in the bottle, the vanilla is still the prominent taste in the stout which also had half a pound of lactose and four ounces of cacao nibs. Hoping the vanilla mellows out just a bit with more time.

I made a vanilla robust porter and it is fantastic. I split open the beans scraped out the bean, chopped up the rest,tossed into some spiced rum for about an hour, ran what was in the rum through a coffe filter,took that and tossed it into my secondary and siphoned onto it. It was amazing. tasted amazing. 14 days in secondary,3 weeks in bottles.tasted great no infection

One note:
Adding vodka (or rum or Whiskey or insert liquor here) will extract MORE flavor from the vanilla beans then if you didn't use them. This may before then desired.
Hint: start with half of the whole bean. Lest rest for a couple days in secondary. Carefully swirl before sampling. If it's at the level you want, great. If not add a little more and repeat. If you do over-do it, bottle or keg and let it rest a month or two. The vanilla should diminish with time, but it may take many months. I personally don't like to be hit over, he head with vanilla... rather like a subtle note in my beer. But that's the joy of home brewing. You get to make what you like.

One note:
Adding vodka (or rum or Whiskey or insert liquor here) will extract MORE flavor from the vanilla beans then if you didn't use them. This may before then desired.
Hint: start with half of the whole bean. Lest rest for a couple days in secondary. Carefully swirl before sampling. If it's at the level you want, great. If not add a little more and repeat. If you do over-do it, bottle or keg and let it rest a month or two. The vanilla should diminish with time, but it may take many months. I personally don't like to be hit over, he head with vanilla... rather like a subtle note in my beer. But that's the joy of home brewing. You get to make what you like.

Just one bean? I'm going to try and Cobble together a Creme Brulee Stout coming up, if i'm going for something that's going to be notably sweeter should i start with a little more in the secondary? or is it really just a "to taste" sort of thing, and i'm over-thinking it? haha

Latest posts

Back