Heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
Hat do you guys use for a heating element in your fermentation chambers... I'm using a eBay controller.

I've heard everything from a 10 dollar space heater to a hairdryer. What is SAFE to put in there?

I'm using a mini fridge if it matters

Safe is relative.

I work for a property restoration company, so I've seen all manner of retarded ideas fail and burn homes down.

I personally use a stand up freezer, wired to a temperature controller, with a reptile ceramic light and a small desk fan to recirculate the air, and the loudest smoke detector I can buy mounted over the top. I don't like space heaters, and I like the idea of a hair dryer but I wanted constant recirculation of air in the fermentation chamber.

dukesbb37 said:
What is this? Do you have a picture?

You rig a light socket inside the chamber, put in a light bulb, and cover it with a coffee can or similar. The heat from the bulb warms the chamber, and the can prevents any light from from hitting your fermentation vessel.

I am using a reptile heater like the one above. They work really well. I have the 60 watt version and it does a great job. It doesn't get super hot. I mounted it on a block of wood for stability. Just keep any plastic a few inches away and you'll be fine.

I tried the paint can and light bulb, but I like the reptile heater much better.

Back