messed up on my priming sugar - doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobita

Reaction score
I bottled my IPA last night (second batch), and I realized afterward that I didn't adjust my priming sugar to account for my smaller batch size. Doh! Due to some losses when racking and hop absorption, etc. I only ended up bottling about 4 gallons, and I used 4.7 ounces of priming sugar. Judging from my last batch, I think I should have used 4 ounces at the most (1 oz per gallon).

Do you think this will be way over-carbed, or just a little? Should I do anything crazy like remove the caps to release some pressure, and then re-cap? Or should I just try one each day as 2 weeks approaches and move them all to fridge to stop the carbing when the level is good?

I guess next time I should figure out a way to get a good measure of the number of gallons I will be bottling, before I weigh out the priming sugar...it's kinda hard to judge from my carboy.

Leave the caps on. It might be a little over-carbed but it won't be crazy... if you want the beer to have less carbonation just pour it a little extra vigorously when you serve it.

EDIT: let me rephrase... by a vigorous pour... I mean hold the bottle up higher than your normally would from the top of the glass, don't let it chug-chug out of the bottle.

1.2 oz per gallon, it is about this. It shouldnt be a big deal.I dont think its even in the 3.0 co2 range yet. .2 oz is pretty slight considering being divided by about 10 bottles per gallon.

Yeah, .7 ounce isn't a huge deal. It will only be a little extra carbed. Don't sweat it.

Rev.

+1

You're not near bottle bomb territory. Just a little more bubbly than you planned.

I have a beer that's a bit overcarbed like that. I open a bottle and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes before I pour and it's perfect then. Just a matter of opening a bottle a little in advance.

Not sure of what sugar you were priming with, but 3/4 cup of CORN sugar (cookbook number) usually weighs in just a bit above 4 oz.

Thanks guys. Definitely good to hear! Letting the beer sit a few minutes makes sense, and I never thought about just pouring differently to change the carbonation.

I did use corn sugar. Since I got a digital scale I just go by weight, rather than worry about the cup measurement.

Anyways, this forum rocks. Would be tough to be a beginning brewer with out it!:mug:

Thanks guys. Definitely good to hear! Letting the beer sit a few minutes makes sense, and I never thought about just pouring differently to change the carbonation.

I did use corn sugar. Since I got a digital scale I just go by weight, rather than worry about the cup measurement.

Anyways, this forum rocks. Would be tough to be a beginning brewer with out it!:mug:

weight is recommended over cup measurment. i havent went over 1 oz per gallon and have well carbed beers 2-5 weeks.Mostly 3. Pretty much ok after 1 week really.:mug:

Back