Yeast and Color Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiebrewer

Reaction score
I have been brewing for over a year now about 8 ten gallon batches...I have now started moving from the standard clone recipes and starteded experimenting a little. My first attempt at experimentation has confused me a little. The first batch was a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. I split the wort in to equal parts. Five gallons I used Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes and the remaining 5 gallons I used Wyeast 5787 Trappist High Gravity Yeast. After transferring into my carboys I have two distinct colors. One color is a light caramel and the other is very much darker as in dark chocolate. Can different yeast cause this result? Thanks.

How did you split the batch? Did you drain directly from your kettle into two 5g fermenters? If so, I would expect the first 5g batch to contain more break material and hence be darker. It could also be hop resins which the initial kraeusen "grabs". They will settle to the bottom if you don't scoop them off the top (not at all necessary...just pointing it out). It's not clear to me if the hop resins would be more likely to be in the first or second 5g batch, or evenly distributed.

Baron,

Thanks for your reply. Acutally poured the wort in from the brew kettle in to a 5 gallon bucket and pitched the yeast. I then poured this 3 gallons into another 5 gallon bucket (back and forth several times to oxiginate). Then topped it off with another 2 gallons. The remaining wort (which ended up as the dark batch) was then pitched with a dry yeast starter in the 5 gallon bucket I had used previously to oxiginate. I vigiously shook this bucket to oxiginate the remaining wort.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back