Brewed a Pumpkin Beer Yesterday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
Finally, I was able to break my 2 month hiatus from brewing. I decided to just go and brew myself a pumpkin beer, which will hopefully be ready for Halloween. It was actually easier than i thought it would be, and hopefully it turns out pretty well. I loosely used Jamil's Recipe in Brewing Classic styles. My amounts were for a 5 gallon batch.

I purchased a large pumpkin from the grocery store. Quartered it with a knife and removed the seeds (for snacking later :)). I then baked it on a cooking sheet in the oven on 330 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes. I removed the pumpkin from the over and scooped out 2lbs of pumpkin stuff to add to my mash.

Mash Bill looked like this: 10lbs Maris Otter, .5 lb Crystal 40L, .25lb Crystal 60L, .5lb Crystal 120L, .3lb Munich, .25lb Victory and 2lb Pumpkin Pulp.
Truthfully, this was an opportunity for me to use up alot of the grain I had on hand, so I stuck to Jamil's recipe with the 40L and 120L, used 60L and Munich is hopes of adding a little more body and flavor since I had no aromatic malt. The victory was a replacement for special roast. It is the Shepherd's pie of beers I guess.

So for hops I used 1.4oz of East Kent Goldings at 5% alpha at 60min. Shooting for 24IBU's. In the final minute I added 1tsp of Cinnamon, .5tsp ginger, .25tsp nutmeg, .25tsp allspice. I used Nottingham for yeast.

In the end I ended up with an OG of 1.054, and it tasted pretty nice. Looking forward to seeing what the end result is in 8-10 days or so when I go to bottle. That should give me roughly three weeks till Halloween.

Anyway, thanks for reading. It feels good to be back :)

Back