Two batches fermenting, two questions (not is my beer ruined but insight needed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I understand it's only been 1 week but the gravity readings on one are almost on par with what it's going to be or lower.

1. Pumpkin Ale
OG was around 1.054
SG currently : 1.012
Been in primary for 1 week (8 days) just racked to secondary
Sample tasted watered down, gf says she can taste the pumpkin but it needs more spice and carbonation to really tell.

2. Heather Ale
OG was around 1.036
Still is around 1.036
Tastes sour

Is the Pumpkin Ale (Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale) suppose to be done that quickly and I wonder why does it taste watered down? We stuck to the recipe like glue but it indicates that it's done only after a week of primary.

Is a batch of beer in the process of fermenting suppose to taste sour before it's done? Or did we screw up somewhere along the lines do you think?

The readings for Gravity just don't make any sense after just one week...

We ARE going to let them sit for another couple weeks at least so we aren't stressing it now. We have never tasted a fermenting beer at 8 days so we have never tasted beer at that point.

Any ideas or suggestions aside from relaxing and letting it go?

thanks
Jake

1. I'd just let the pumpkin ale sit for a few weeks, it sounds like it's done and should probably come out just fine.

2. How long ago did you pitch the yeast on the Heather? If it has been more then 3 days I'd definately get some dry yeast and repitch since the original yeast doesn't seem to have done anything yet.

After the initial vigorous fermentation (first 5 or 6 days), your target gravity will be within reach. This is normal for any ale. The heather ale will not taste like a normal beer, but sour should not be one of the flavors. If its palatable, drink it.

1. I'd just let the pumpkin ale sit for a few weeks, it sounds like it's done and should probably come out just fine.

2. How long ago did you pitch the yeast on the Heather? If it has been more then 3 days I'd definately get some dry yeast and repitch since the original yeast doesn't seem to have done anything yet.

ON the heather ale, the yeast was pitched 8 days ago. I just tossed in a packet of dry yeast and will see how it turns out.

I don't have time tonight to warm up the liquid white labs in the fridge.

We are going to let both sit and see how things come out. I'm trying to think over the process and can't find a hole...

From now on, all boils will be full boils to cut down on the steps of potential problems..

From now on, all boils will be full boils to cut down on the steps of potential problems..

At least with a partial boil aeration is not an important consideration. Fully boiled batches will be oxygen depleted and will require extra consideration.

As far as your quick fermentation, 8 days to hit your target gravity seems completely reasonable, especially if you had a quick start and vigorous fermentation. This is common with dry yeast. A watery taste is not the result of incomplete fermentation; a stuck batch will have residual sweetness but will not be particularly light or watery.

In my experience, young batches always taste watery. I still don't understand why, but a few weeks later they're always fine.

thanks dog

I don't think I'll ever taste a beer before it's two week checkup. I think in theory that they both should be fine because I did nothing different that I didn't do with the first 4 batches and they turned out fine.

what strains of yeast did you use for each?

with my oktoberfest i used safale 04 with the exact same OG and FG as your pumkin.

I hit the FG in 4 days.

I just brewed pumpkin ale and it took a day or two to get the Krauzen to build up. However it dropped out very quickly and looks like it is clearing up already after 3-4 days. I am gona test the gravity soon to see where I am at but dang that was fast.

Back