northern brewer ag kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There cheap, but the one I bought (AG) was sent with all the wrong ingredients. That's why I shop primarily at AHS.

There cheap, but the one I bought (AG) was sent with all the wrong ingredients. That's why I shop primarily at AHS.

Do you think they could have just messed up once? They're a good store.

I haven't used their kits, but I imagine that overall they're just fine.

I've done four now and I love them. I love knowing exactly what ingredients are in each recipe, I like the options they give for yeast, caps, etc, I like their selection of recipes and their price. My efficiency has been about 74-78% brewhouse so their crush works for me.

I like NB's kits. The only problem I've ever had with them was when I ordered a kit pre-crushed. The store crush was...lacking. I now own a grain mill so it's not a problem anymore.

I brewed the NB Cream Ale kit with a few modifications on my part last weekend.
The kits are put together well and all components are labeled.
The instructions are clear and the mash schedule is well laid out.
The crush is somewhat poor (my efficiency dipped a 2 or 3 percent) though I still was above 70%.
The recipe started out a few points out of style for OG, and SRM so if that matters to you I'd punch the ingredients into some software and check it.
The taste is indescribable (because I haven't tasted it yet ;) ).
Customer service at NB is fantastic so I'd give em a call and when you order ask for a finer crush.

Do you think they could have just messed up once? They're a good store.

I haven't used their kits, but I imagine that overall they're just fine.

If you haven't used their kits, how can you comment on them? I called them and they had a crap attitude about it and didn't even offer to send the right stuff. Mabey it was a one time thing, but how many times do you need to get bit by a dog to know it's bad?

The few times Ahs has made a mistake, they always correct it.

I have used there kits in the past and there fine for the most part. I do sometimes question the yeast and hops they choose for the recipe. I prefer to build my own recipe from scratch now it is more fun.

I've used them a couple times and I too thought I could have made it better with some extra/alternate ingredients. That said, they do rank higher on the scale than some others I've tried. Once I got comfy with the AG thing, I now do my own.

I like NB's kits. The only problem I've ever had with them was when I ordered a kit pre-crushed. The store crush was...lacking. I now own a grain mill so it's not a problem anymore.

Yeah, I brewed one of their kits last weekend, and even though I'm an AG newbie I could see that the crush was pretty poor. I only got 57% efficiency, compared to the 69% i got from my first AG attempt two weeks before.

Bummer is that it was already a highly-hopped kit (tongue splitter ale) and now with the poor efficiency and low OG, it's probably going to be pretty harsh.

If you haven't used their kits, how can you comment on them? I called them and they had a crap attitude about it and didn't even offer to send the right stuff. Mabey it was a one time thing, but how many times do you need to get bit by a dog to know it's bad?

I had the opposite experience. One of my extract kits was shipped with the wrong hops... presumably due to the shortage. I called and they said it must have been one of these that was previously packaged. They send the correct hops right away no questions asked and with a great attitude.

found the nb ag kits looking good...anyone have opinions on these kits and recipes?

My only complaint about NB AG kits (when I used them) was that some of the bags of grain were not clearly marked; if you took them out of the kit boxes you could get them mixed up.

Now I just buy bulk and label my own containers.

I've used Northern Brewers kits for years, extract and AG. I have had nothing but good kits, fresh ingredients and shipped as advertised. Only one time I had to contact them by phone because I had thought my yeast smack pack had no nutrient pack, to which they were very friendly and offered to send a new one out immediatly. I'd also have to say the 3 kits I've purchased from Austin Homebrew were very good also.

How can their kits be worse then another places? Its Grain people the recipe may not be as good as another places but you can see that before you buy.

NB is the only store that I have seen that lists the ingredients that goes into the Kits.

If the beer comes out bad it's probably the brewer since grain is grain and hops are hops.

If the recipe is off you can see that before you buy it.

For the crush you can tell them to run it thru 2 times and it would probably be fine.

For the most part buy a book and buy the ingredients that's what I do

I can comment on the reputation of a store that has a large, supportive community. I have ordered a couple of things from them and it has always just been fine. Obviously other people here have had good experiences as well.

I was offering an alternate opinion. You and I will disagree. Andd judging by how you jumped on what I said, I'm SURE it was THEIR attitude.

AHS is the ONLY place I have ordered from that I had issues with an order. They did make it right but it wasn't the quickest process. I order a majority of my supplies from Northern as well as More Beer. I have had fantastic customer service from both places when I have called them with a question. I have never ordered a kit from them but I have ordered various grains I can't find locally and they are always packaged correctly. I crush my own so I can't comment on the quality of their crush.

I haven't brewed one of NB's AG kits, but I did brew their Two-Hearted Ale clone extract w/ specialty grains kit ("Three-Hearted Ale") and everything was there, fresh, labeled, and in good shape.

My only complaint about NB AG kits (when I used them) was that some of the bags of grain were not clearly marked; if you took them out of the kit boxes you could get them mixed up.

Now I just buy bulk and label my own containers.

The two kits I ordered from them are labeled on the outside of the first bag (they double bag the grains). They might have changed their procedures since the last time you ordered.

I can comment on the reputation of a store that has a large, supportive community. I have ordered a couple of things from them and it has always just been fine. Obviously other people here have had good experiences as well.

I was offering an alternate opinion. You and I will disagree. Andd judging by how you jumped on what I said, I'm SURE it was THEIR attitude.

I was jumping on you, by asking a simple question? I offered an honest answer to a question that was asked. I had a bad experience there, mabey some will , mabey some won't.

How can their kits be worse then another places? Its Grain people the recipe may not be as good as another places but you can see that before you buy.

Packaging, labeling, shipping, turnaround time, condition of the grains, supplier of the grains. That's what immediately came to mind.

If the beer comes out bad it's probably the brewer since grain is grain and hops are hops.

I disagree with that. A noticeable diffence can been seen and tasted in grains. There was a good discussion here pertaining to 2 row here.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=764850

If a kit is put together using lesser "quality" grains, you're end result can suffer.

Yes, but as that post also pointed out, NB lists EXACTLY what is in each kit, so you can decide if you want to make a kit that uses Rahr 2-row instead of Golden Promise or whatnot.

Yes, but as that post also pointed out, NB lists EXACTLY what is in each kit, so you can decide if you want to make a kit that uses Rahr 2-row instead of Golden Promise or whatnot.

Well you can't "decide" if you want to make a kit with Rahr vs. Golden.. You can choose one or the other at best. It's a kit, but not a build yourself kit.

I have never order from anyone other that AHS until last week.. I thought I'd try the NB kits as they are much cheaper. I got an Outmeal, a Dry, and a Sweet stout shipped for ~$65... The same kits from AHS were ~$85 pre-shipping. The thing I noticed with being able to get a ingredient list (and that's a nice feature) was that AHS kits have a few more pounds of grain for the same kits that the NB kits..
Don't quote me, but the NB Sweet stout was like 9#'s total, and the AHS Sweet was like 11 or 12#'s grainbill..
I'll soon see how they come out, and I'll report either way. I'm all about getting something for less, unless I end up getting less... :mug:

I have had nothing but good experiences with their kits. They were a good way for me to start with AG. I actually Really like their Extra Pale ale ag kit, great results. Surprised by the negative feedback. Only so, so experience I had was when I called once for sparge advice for a kit. Got some kid who kind of seemed a little clueless. Other than that, nothing but good experiences with their ag kits. Orders always fast.

Well you can't "decide" if you want to make a kit with Rahr vs. Golden.. You can choose one or the other at best. It's a kit, but not a build yourself kit.

I have never order from anyone other that AHS until last week.. I thought I'd try the NB kits as they are much cheaper. I got an Outmeal, a Dry, and a Sweet stout shipped for ~$65... The same kits from AHS were ~$85 pre-shipping. The thing I noticed with being able to get a ingredient list (and that's a nice feature) was that AHS kits have a few more pounds of grain for the same kits that the NB kits..
Don't quote me, but the NB Sweet stout was like 9#'s total, and the AHS Sweet was like 11 or 12#'s grainbill..
I'll soon see how they come out, and I'll report either way. I'm all about getting something for less, unless I end up getting less... :mug:

The price of our kits is based on the ingredients in them. So if a Northern Brewer kit is less expensive, it has less ingredients. We have the largest selection of award winning kits available. We really have the best tasting kits, just ask anyone.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

I have ordered kits from NB, AHS and Morebeer with no issues. I have also spent a lot of money on gear at Morebeer.com.
If you like to have more control of the recipe but still want it in kit form, I suggest the Brew-Builder at Brewmaster's Warehouse.
Absolute control of the kit and impeccable service.

The price of our kits is based on the ingredients in them. So if a Northern Brewer kit is less expensive, it has less ingredients. We have the largest selection of award winning kits available. We really have the best tasting kits, just ask anyone.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Hey Forrest,

I don't doubt what you say, and I've had good experience with you in the past. That's the reason I keep ordering stuff from AHS. With the lesser grain amounts I was a bit sceptical about the NB kits, but thought I'd give them a try. SWMBO wanted me to pick a few out for Christmas so I tried to stretch a dollar. I was in no way trying to knock your product, as they are good wuality and very tasty. :D

One question for you, for the bulk buyers, I may doing some of that soon... Do your 50-55lb bags fit into the $7.99 flat shipping?
I know everywhere else that "seems" to have a better price on grain, kills it with the huge shipping cost. I can't justify paying $67 to fedex to deliver a $42 bag of grain. For me not having a LHBS, that's what has kept me buying kits vs. bulking up and making my own.

Hey Forrest,

I don't doubt what you say, and I've had good experience with you in the past. That's the reason I keep ordering stuff from AHS. With the lesser grain amounts I was a bit sceptical about the NB kits, but thought I'd give them a try. SWMBO wanted me to pick a few out for Christmas so I tried to stretch a dollar. I was in no way trying to knock your product, as they are good wuality and very tasty. :D

One question for you, for the bulk buyers, I may doing some of that soon... Do your 50-55lb bags fit into the $7.99 flat shipping?
I know everywhere else that "seems" to have a better price on grain, kills it with the huge shipping cost. I can't justify paying $67 to fedex to deliver a $42 bag of grain. For me not having a LHBS, that's what has kept me buying kits vs. bulking up and making my own.

Everything on our website will always qualify for the $7.99 shipping. Even bulk grain. Compare delivered prices for your whole order and we should have the best prices. Please compare for a whole order not just 1 item plus $7.99 for every item.

Think about it this way: The shipping charge for the first item is $7.99 and the rest is free shipping.

Forrest

Everything on our website will always qualify for the $7.99 shipping. Even bulk grain. Compare delivered prices for your whole order and we should have the best prices. Please compare for a whole order not just 1 item plus $7.99 for every item.

Think about it this way: The shipping charge for the first item is $7.99 and the rest is free shipping.

Forrest

That's why I was asking.. I wasn't sure if it applied to bulk. With that, you even beat the closest LHBS on bulk grain factoring in the shipping.. I have to drive 120 miles roundtrip for them, and I can't do that for $7.99

Again, I've always gotten a great product and great service from you guys.. :mug:

Forrest

I'm not going to say you have the best prices. I researched a bit, same/equivalent grains, based on whatever size they were sold in, and averaged it all down to per pound shipped price.. You aren't the cheapest, but your right there on most of it..

BUT, (before you get bent and ban me from your store) there is a BIG quality difference in the kits I've ordered in the past from AHS, and these I got from NB..
The dry stout is watery and thin and lacking "robustness" for lack of a better term. The oatmeal will be brewed this weekend, and the milk (I like my stouts) is still coming down in secondary as it finished very high at about 1.036.

I'll be getting my kits from AHS, even if they are more. As for bulk quality, I'm not buying bulk yet, but I can't see skimping for 5-25cents a pound as that's the ballpark AHS was in with the other places I checked.

As was stated before, everything is listed in NB's kits. If you don't like one or two ingredient or the quantities in the kit, you can always put together a custom version. Not sure where the assumption that NB uses cheap ingredients in their kits comes from - again, you can see everything that is used in the kits.

Well I didn't say thay use "cheap" ingredients.. I did say there was aquality difference.

This is based on the fact that an Irish Stout kit (and all the other kits) from AHS have quite a bit more pound-age in the same kit.. This equates to "more beer" in the end, or probably the lackluster lack of body and robustness that I mentioned.

Take this information any way you want it, I just put my opinion and findings on here like everyone else has done.

Back