Converting gravity to Brix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
So far I have been using my hydrometer and understand gravity...
How do I convert brixs from my gravity reading?

Example: If I have 1.060 what would the brix be?
If I have 1.055 what would the bricks be? And if I have 1.090 what would the bricks be?

divide gravity by 4 to get the Brix. Someone will no doubt tell you its more complicated (and it is) but brix X 4 puts you within a couple pts SG and the margin of error of most hydrometers.

example 1.060 ~ 15Brix
1.055 ~ 14 Brix
1.090 ~ 22.5 Brix

gbx said:
divide gravity by 4 to get the Brix. Someone will no doubt tell you its more complicated (and it is) but brix X 4 puts you within a couple pts SG and the margin of error of most hydrometers.

example 1.060 ~ 15Brix
1.055 ~ 14 Brix
1.090 ~ 22.5 Brix

I don't know how you're coming out with your answers? When I divide 1.060 divided by 4 I get .265, if I divide 4 by 1.060 I get 3.77...
How did you get these calculations?

badgerbrigade said:
i don't know how you're coming out with your answers? When i divide 1.060 divided by 4 i get .265, if i divide 4 by 1.060 i get 3.77...
How did you get these calculations?

60/4=15

Oh, and if you want the formulas:

SG -> Brix Equation:
Brix = (((182.4601 * SG -775.6821) * SG +1262.7794) * SG -669.5622)
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brix)

Brix -> SG Equation:
SG = (Brix / (258.6-((Brix / 258.2)*227.1))) + 1
(Source: Brew Your Own Magazine)

Have you ever seen that movies Scanners...where the guys head explodes? Thats how I feel after reading those formulas, Mike!

Pickled,

The x4 or /4 equation is a quick, easy, and basic way to convert. If you're brewing with a refractometer and want to get a rough idea of where you're at pre-boil, or during mash, or close to flame out, you can take a refractometer reading and say "okay, I'm at 12 brix, so roughly 1.048".

Something to keep in mind is this equation does not work once alcohol has been introduced to the equation. Alcohol will skew the reading, and therefore it will read higher than it actually is. I generally use a refractometer during my brew, and a final gravity hydrometer during fermentation after 5-6 days.

Cheers!

Jipper said:
Pickled,

The x4 or /4 equation is a quick, easy, and basic way to convert. If you're brewing with a refractometer and want to get a rough idea of where you're at pre-boil, or during mash, or close to flame out, you can take a refractometer reading and say "okay, I'm at 12 brix, so roughly 1.048".

Something to keep in mind is this equation does not work once alcohol has been introduced to the equation. Alcohol will skew the reading, and therefore it will read higher than it actually is. I generally use a refractometer during my brew, and a final gravity hydrometer during fermentation after 5-6 days.

Cheers!

Beersmith has a calculator for using the refractometer after fermentation has started. You just need the OG and current brix.

Beersmith has a calculator for using the refractometer after fermentation has started. You just need the OG and current brix.

If someone isn't comfortable with X4 for a simple conversion (which gets you within a couple points for the typical range of SG you can do in all grain brewing) you would won't like the accuracy you get with any of those post fermentation formulas.

If someone isn't comfortable with X4 for a simple conversion (which gets you within a couple points for the typical range of SG you can do in all grain brewing) you would won't like the accuracy you get with any of those post fermentation formulas.

I haven't had any issues when comparing the results using the formula vs a hydrometer.

On another note, I would love to see results of a GR&R on a hydrometer...

Pickled_Pepper said:
Have you ever seen that movies Scanners...where the guys head explodes? Thats how I feel after reading those formulas, Mike!

I'm glad someone said it... I was beginning to think I was a retard, lol

I'm glad someone said it... I was beginning to think I was a retard, lol

mathIsHard.jpg

LOLZ! :mug: :tank:

Back