How many 2nd year bines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greels

Reaction score
Tried doing some searching but couldn't find great answers.

My 2nd year hops are starting to sprout up out of my container on my 2nd floor apartment deck, and I just counted thirteen bines :eek: That seems like a lot, and it's way more than I want to take care of, but I am wondering what a good number of bines to have is, specifically for container-bound hops.

Any experience/answers?

I don't know about container growing, but for the first two years I've been running 4 bines per crown, on two strings ("vee'd") per crown. I expect to do the same this year...

Cheers!

run 3-4 bines per plant up your twine. If your talking how many shoots on a second year plant will come up, depends on variety maybe 15-20 on average.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I thought shoots and bines were synonyms...? Care to enlighten me?

Is that working well for you in regards to total harvest?

Obviously I don't have anything to compare with, but I do have a full sized fridge with freezer section that was stuffed with hops at the end of the season :ban:

Cheers!

[edit]
I guess I thought shoots and bines were synonyms...? Care to enlighten me?

You want to pick out your 3-4 best shoots to train (into "bines") and cut off the rest.

Back