Requesting control panel layout input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheez

Reaction score
I just placed an order with Stout Tanks for a 1/2 barrel setup and I'm in the process of gathering all of the parts and pieces for a 50-amp PID back-to-back brewing system. I'll probably order a modified kit from ebrewsupply, get the Aubers PID's, timers, and deluxe RTD probes, and get a 16x16x8 steel enclosure from wherever.

I'm thinking two timers will be handy for back-to-back batches. I would like to have a separate alarm light for each PID and timer but have them all hooked up to one buzzer (if possible). That way I could tell which item is triggering the alarm. I think this would also be helpful for back-to-back batches as I may have an alarm going off for a timer at the same time an alarm is going off for reaching HLT temp (or whatever combo it may be).

Any input on this control panel layout is greatly appreciated!

View attachment control panel.pdf

Your panel is somewhat similar to mine. I was going to put the timers on each end. I thought it balanced the panel better.

Are you saying you'll have a light turn on when the alarm condition is met along with the shared buzzer? I hadn't thought of that. I was going to have small lights above each alarm switch to indicate that the alarm was active (small green lights in my panel). That way from a distance I could see which alarms were set. Now I'm wondering if I should bag those lights and do as you're saying or try to add another set of lights...

Here's a poor quality image of my panel. I'd post the actual in progress panel but it still needs a lot of work.

controlpanel50A.jpg

Your panel is somewhat similar to mine. I was going to put the timers on each end. I thought it balanced the panel better.

Are you saying you'll have a light turn on when the alarm condition is met along with the shared buzzer? I hadn't thought of that. I was going to have small lights above each alarm switch to indicate that the alarm was active (small green lights in my panel). That way from a distance I could see which alarms were set. Now I'm wondering if I should bag those lights and do as you're saying or try to add another set of lights...

Here's a poor quality image of my panel. I'd post the actual in progress panel but it still needs a lot of work.

I will have a red "alarm" light above each on/off alarm switch so I know what triggered the alarm and I'm hoping to have a shared alarm buzzer. I can easily see having a few alarms going off at the same time with back-to-back batches. I like your idea of having one timer at each end to balance it out.

Does anyone know if I will have any backfeeding issues if multiple alarms are going off at the same time and sending a signal to the single buzzer? I believe the Auber PID and timer outputs are NO so I don't think it will be a problem. Thanks.

Does anyone know if I will have any backfeeding issues if multiple alarms are going off at the same time and sending a signal to the single buzzer? I believe the Auber PID and timer outputs are NO so I don't think it will be a problem. Thanks.

Any input on this? I'm hoping to start ordering control panel parts this week. Thanks for any help.

First, the answer to your question - I have been told there are no issues with backfeed, so you should be good (depending on how you wire it up, you may have your lights get backfed, but it can be avoided).

Now, some comments. It's your panel, so do what you want with the comments...
1 - You can save yourself a lot of extra holes and wiring if you use light up switches. Eliminate almost all of your lights - push the button, it lights up - two jobs, one switch. If you were set on having the alarm lights, you could even incorporate them into switches so they light up whenever your conditions are met.

2 - If the alarm light is only there to let you know which of the PIDs / Timers is sending the signal to the alarm buzzer, you may not need it. The PIDs will have an LED on them to indicate which is in alarm. Not sure about the timers. It won't be as bright or obvious as the separate light, but it should be pretty easy to figure out which device is in alarm based on the integrated alarm LED.

3 - I agree with the idea of having the timers on either side for a more balanced look, but that's up to you.

4 - Are you going to be able to shoehorn 5 PIDs into the box? I have 3, and it's tight but not terrible. I could see 4, but 5 would be a beast. Also, you can't get too close to the lock-side of the panel, as the PIDs have some decent dept to them and they will hit as you open the door. Keep in mind that you lose about an inch on all sides for the weather gasket and lip on the box.

Hope those help...
-Kevin

First, the answer to your question - I have been told there are no issues with backfeed, so you should be good (depending on how you wire it up, you may have your lights get backfed, but it can be avoided).

Now, some comments. It's your panel, so do what you want with the comments...
1 - You can save yourself a lot of extra holes and wiring if you use light up switches. Eliminate almost all of your lights - push the button, it lights up - two jobs, one switch. If you were set on having the alarm lights, you could even incorporate them into switches so they light up whenever your conditions are met.

2 - If the alarm light is only there to let you know which of the PIDs / Timers is sending the signal to the alarm buzzer, you may not need it. The PIDs will have an LED on them to indicate which is in alarm. Not sure about the timers. It won't be as bright or obvious as the separate light, but it should be pretty easy to figure out which device is in alarm based on the integrated alarm LED.

3 - I agree with the idea of having the timers on either side for a more balanced look, but that's up to you.

4 - Are you going to be able to shoehorn 5 PIDs into the box? I have 3, and it's tight but not terrible. I could see 4, but 5 would be a beast. Also, you can't get too close to the lock-side of the panel, as the PIDs have some decent dept to them and they will hit as you open the door. Keep in mind that you lose about an inch on all sides for the weather gasket and lip on the box.

Hope those help...
-Kevin

Thanks for your input! I've been following your build thread - great work!

For some reason I like the look of the separate LED indicator lights and switches but I may use the push button lighted switches for the alarm switches/lights as they would eliminate 5 holes. I believe the Aubers timers have an "out" indicator light that lights up for the alarm.

Based on my current conceptual layout, I have about a 1.5" space between the outside of the box and the PID's, switches, etc. and have a 1" space between the PID's/Alarms. I thought about going with a 20"x16" or 20"x20" enclosure but they are harder to find and seem to cost a lot more than 16"x16".

Thanks again for your input.

Chris

Any more input on this? I should be getting my Stout tanks order in April and would like to get a jump start on the control panel build. My concern at this point is that there may not be enough room on a 16x16 panel for all of the gear I want. Any thoughts? I know a 16x20 would work but they seem to be a lot harder to find and a lot more expensive. Thanks!

View attachment control panel 2.pdf

A combination flashing buzzer/alarm light would greatly simplify both the panel and the wiring. Same with Lighted switches

A combination flashing buzzer/alarm light would greatly simplify both the panel and the wiring. Same with Lighted switches

I do plan on having a combo. flashing buzzer/alarm light in the upper right of the panel but I may go with combo. on/off and light switches for everything (alarms, elements, pumps). I would really like to stick with a 16x16x8 panel so the combo. switches may be the way to go.

Thanks for your help!

View attachment control panel 3.pdf

Back