B.O.D bottles for yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
I came across some glass B.O.D bottles (similar to pic) with tapered glass stoppers, would these be suitable for storing harvested/washed yeast?

WHEAMP329-2.jpg

I'm worried about the seal. I know they are designed to be water tight, just maybe not air tight? The stopper is glass, not rubber?

I would wrap foil over the tops. That way the exposed lip doesn't catch airborn or refrigerator gunk in it. That is what we do when autoclaving glassware for microbiological testing to keep it clean.

Are you specifically looking for something you can autoclave or oven bake?

If not, then 2L preforms are what White Labs uses. They're cheap too. I just bought 60 with caps for like $35.

I may have bought too many. I thought they'd be smaller. :)

Why cant yeast be left out of the fridge? i am going to try putting in a growler with an airlock with some beer on top! people say you can leave your beer fermenting for weeks before bottling, so do the yeast die off during this time, I think they go dormant because there is no food, but what do I know!

Why cant yeast be left out of the fridge? i am going to try putting in a growler with an airlock with some beer on top! people say you can leave your beer fermenting for weeks before bottling, so do the yeast die off during this time, I think they go dormant because there is no food, but what do I know!

Cooler temperatures force them to go dormant and drastically slows their metabolism. Otherwise, they'll die off at a faster rate.

Back