Dunkles Weissbier Arkador's Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grains
0.75 pounds Belgian Plisen Malt 8.5% of grist
0.75 pounds American Wheat Malt 8.5% of grist

Please excuse my ignorance. This will be my second brew and would really like to try this. My question is when purchasing the grains, I would purchase them "Crushed"? I would imagine so, but is that taken care of by Sparge? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Opened one of these last night after a week carbing.......at first it was a tad sweet then the flavor really came through! Wow....this tastes really good. I did a slight mod to it.....i put in 1lbs. Belgian candi sugar.......its darker but i gotta say this is an awesome brew! I have to get another batch going soon. I dont see it lasting that long!

Brewed this bad boy tonight. Great recipe - gracias.

Used the red wheat as well and WLP300.

Slight modification - added 2.5oz of corn sugar. Just had it lying around so figured I'd add a little abv and dryness. Cannot wait to bottle this in a little over a week.

P My question is when purchasing the grains, I would purchase them "Crushed"? I would imagine so,

with homebrewing, your grain should always be crushed. either at your LHBS or at home with your grain mill.

Glad to see everyone is enjoying this recipe. I am thinking about scaling this upto a 10gal all grain version to do tomorrow.

Just brewed this (my fourth ever batch) up this morning. Looking forward to having this take the edge off of everybody on Christmas Eve at the in-laws!

I'm so stoked to try this recipe. I'm assuming if I like a more estery version, I should go with Wyeast 3068.

Any reason why you went DME and LME for the extracts? I was thinking of doing the reverse, since I can't get wheat LME at my LHBS.

Brewed this bad boy tonight. Great recipe - gracias.

Used the red wheat as well and WLP300.

Slight modification - added 2.5oz of corn sugar. Just had it lying around so figured I'd add a little abv and dryness. Cannot wait to bottle this in a little over a week.

Bottled this after 10 days in primary. Still LOTS of yeast in the bottles. After 5 days it was good and carbed, but tasted like a yeasty hef that was missing something. My disappointment was measurable.

Over a week later, I tried it again and . . . we have a winner! It's a good brew. Can't say I would brew it again (not a huge wheat fan) but this is a really tasty beer to fill in the pipeline.

:ban:

Coolio. I was planning on waiting 3 weeks, but great to hear that it's tasty after less than that.

Now I just need convince the wife to give me 3-4 hours without parenting duties, and we're good to go :D

Brew weekend. Making a few changes, but mostly the same recipe. I bought a blow off valve, so it'll be the first try at that, too.

Here's hoping it all goes well :)

I'm so stoked to try this recipe. I'm assuming if I like a more estery version, I should go with Wyeast 3068.

Any reason why you went DME and LME for the extracts? I was thinking of doing the reverse, since I can't get wheat LME at my LHBS.

just what my LHBS had on had the day I was putting it together, You can use any combination of LME or DME. Feel free to do all DME, or all LME.

I ended up crushing the grains by hand (Midwest didn't ship my mill), but it got done!

Pitched 1L of 3068 w/ starter. Took about 7-8 hours before krausen showed up, but it's there, and it's bubbling away every 1.5 seconds. :D can't wait to try this out.

I was gonna toss in some hollertau, but decided I wanted to taste the beer as you designed it... so if it's good, I'll start playing a bit later on :)

Edit: here's a pic of the brew after 18hrs :)
20130114080922.jpg

I'm gonna be bottling this on Monday or Tuesday, and was wondering whether anybody's used the Northern Brewer Priming Calculator for their priming solution? According to them, for 5gal of dunkeweizen at 70F, I want to use 6.38oz of corn sugar. Considering I'll lose a bit of volume to trub and yeast, I'll say 4.8 gal, and it's still over 6oz.

I'm gonna be bottling this on Monday or Tuesday, and was wondering whether anybody's used the Northern Brewer Priming Calculator for their priming solution? According to them, for 5gal of dunkeweizen at 70F, I want to use 6.38oz of corn sugar. Considering I'll lose a bit of volume to trub and yeast, I'll say 4.8 gal, and it's still over 6oz.

I found two different priming tables - http://www.mashspargeboil.com/achieving-the-right-carbonation-in-your-home-brew-beer/
and http://hbd.org/brewery/library/YPrimerMH.html

The first recommends 2.5 – 2.9 volumes of CO2 for a Weizen/Weissbier – the second recommends 3.3 – 4.5 volumes. I’ve been using the lower range, and it seems about right.

One caution - There could be a possibility of bottle bombs with high carbonation. Yooper wrote in another thread "Also, some of those guidelines (I think weizens?) will cause bottle bombs or at least lots and lots of foaming in a bottle." I don't know her source of information, but she is very knowlegible.

Gah! Fine... I'll just do a solid 5oz and be happy.

I took a reading on Saturday and it was 1028 (after 6 days). So this bad-boy is going to go 10 days in the carboy.

Edit: After 8 days... I'm at 1.026 :/ This puppy is going to go to a solid 14-15 days of fermentation (assuming it doesn't stall out)

I would love to try this one but I dont have equipment to keg for secondary and cool, could I secondary at 65deg?

There's no need to use a secondary for this one. It's a wheat beer... let the yeast float and enjoy cloudy :)

Also... at 12 days, I'm reading 1.023. Slowest fermentation EVER. Not sure why it's so slow, but I don't care. It's still fermenting, and it smells and tastes like heaven!! :D

Am I the only one that's had timing issues with this beer?

I'm over 2 weeks, still at 1.021. It's still moving, so it's alright, but it seems weird that it's taking this long :S

Brewed this yesterday but subbed White Wheat for American Wheat. Also used full 2# of grain. Ended up boiling 6 gallons down to about 5.5 with an OG of 1.060. Used Safale WB-06 and she is bubbling at around 72 on the fermometer. Will let you know how it turns out!

Well this mofo took about 4 weeks to fully ferment. I didn't take an OG reading, and it seems like the DME that I get, locally, is way more efficient than most recipes account for. I think that may have been the cause for the slow-ass fermentation, simply that I was starting way higher than anticipated and the yeast had to work overtime to get it to where it needed to be.

I bottled this on Monday and my wife said that it was pretty much the best tasting beer she's ever had... She immediately requested that I make another batch ASAP, since the 5gal I bottled won't last 6 weeks.

I harvested the yeast and am debating on reusing the slurry of 3064 from the last batch or using my WLP300 or WB-06. I like the idea of reusing my slurry simply because it won't last that long, as it sits :p

glad it finally finished. Likley you had a slow starting (old) yeast, way underpitched, or did not have enough oxigenation.

Glad your SWMBO loved it.

It was most likely lack of oxygenation. I made another batch on Saturday, but the OG was a bit too high, 1.069. I also swapped out a few things and added some wheat flakes to the steep. :) I also switched out the Cascade for Mt. Hood... just brewed with what I had on hand :p

I pitched a healthy 1L starter of WLP300, and there's a good amount of krausen, so it's chompin' away. :)

/edit: I also oxygenated the SHIZNIT out of it, this time around. Spent a solid 6 minutes with a Fizz-X until it was nice 'n creamy looking :D

Bottled mine about a week and a half ago now. It tastes delicious! Very easy to drink. Will keep on my list of quick, easy, and delicious recipes.

Just brewed up a batch, to rave results. I followed recipe exactly and this has been the best extract beer I've ever made.

Curious what other extract users have gotten for FG on this, though. My OG was 1.06, FG 1.02. I waited a few days but didn't seem to go below this. I kegged in hopes that it wouldn't be too sweet (and it wasn't), but wondering what others had gotten.

About to make my 3rd batch of this... INSANITY.

It's the only recipe I've repeated. My friends are drinking this up like it's going out of style! I'll likely end up making a 4th batch before the fall, and then I'll try making an AG version of this. Have you done an AG version? I'd probably take a swing at it with a decoction mash :D

Question on this recipe: if I stripped 0.25 pounds from the belgian and the wheat then used 0.5 lbs caramunich malt ( or another darker malt) would i get a more "typical" color of a dunkelweizen with the right flavor or would I alter the taste?

Not quite a noob but inexperinced on recipe alterations.

This stuff comes out pretty dark with the use of extracts. Mine is a amber caramel color, which is right in the BJCP guidelines (15B)
Caramunich would add some caramel notes that can be found in some dunkelweizens, so I don't see why not... but for the color, it's plenty dark on it's own ;)

Quick follow up post. It has been drinkable for over a month now and still tastes great. Probably will brew up another batch this summer for some days out in the sun. Great wheat beer.

Just stumbled across this from Wheaton's page - I have a pale in the fermenter right now, but as soon as that goes to secondary I'm starting this up.

I Brewed this Sunday and the yeast went nuts the first today's but really slowed down this morning. Should I be concerned? I've had some issues with dry yeast in weizen beers before and am curious. I used wb-06 dry yeast for this batch

I am trying this recipe for my second brew ever. I am wondering if it is necessary to use a blow off valve or if an airlock will work fine. I am using a 7 gallon bucket. Also, if I am bottling instead of kegging, should I keep the bottles at 38 degrees as well? I'm assuming I should, but just want to get everything right for my second brew. I'm very much looking forward to this!

In a bucket, you'll be fine. I made this one a few times, twice in buckets w/o blow-off.

For bottling, you want to keep the bottles at room-temp (low 70s) for a couple weeks before chilling them to drink. They can stay at room temp for however long you want, though. I have some from 2 months ago that are still kickin' around, and they taste awesome :)

Back