What is the best blueberry wine recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbucket

Reaction score
Considering blueberry price for a 23L batch (15-30lbs of berries?) and the shortness of the season, what would be the best recipe for blueberry wine?

I would like to make it once and make sure it is the best. Any help is appreciated. :mug:

yea I imagine they're pricey out in AZ. I poke around until I find someone who's got 'em in their back yard and has picked their fill.

That being said, I make a real nice 5gal batch with 9-10lbs of blueberries. It's in the lil recipie tab under my name...

<----- over there.

considering it only needs #10 vs #20 or #30 of other recipes, will definitely try it, thanks a lot!

Lots of blueberry recipes out there.

Just make sure to, if at all possible, use nearly straight juice and as little water as possible ... and add some tannin ... and/or you could carefully oak it just a bit.

Blueberry wine ages nicely similarly to grape wine.

Jacob_Marley said:
Lots of blueberry recipes out there.

Just make sure to, if at all possible, use nearly straight juice and as little water as possible ... and add some tannin ... and/or you could carefully oak it just a bit.

Blueberry wine ages nicely similarly to grape wine.

I am making a blueberry port wine. I cut the juice with water, it was a bit acidic.

I did one gallon with a pound on raisins, and another gallon with a half cup of light malt. Both were used to add body. So far I enjoy the taste of the raisin batch better.

I ended up doing a blueberry/blackberry/raspberry/strawberry mix, will post if it comes any good

I do a blueberry/blackberry/cherry using canned pie filling. Which sounds totally crazy. But everyone goes crazy for it around the holidays.

I got 10 lbs of fresh blueberries this summers from a Kiwanis sale and froze them to make wine which I did this past weekend. I only made a 3 gallon batch because I plan to make skeeter pee on top of the lees after I rack to secondary. I added six lbs of sugar for an OG of about 1.090 and used Montrachet yeast.

I had no idea what additions to use so I kind of went off of other recipes I've seen. I added a crushed campden tablet when I mashed up the blueberries (I used a potato masher). Gave that time to sit and added 1 tablespoon acid blend, 1 tablespoon yeast nutrient, 1/2 teaspoon of wine tannin, 1.5 teaspoons pectic enzyme and a teaspoon of yeast energizer. I dissolved the sugar in water and added it to the blueberries hot. Not sure if that was a good idea, as it may have "cooked" the berries a little. Then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I pitched the Montrachet after 24 hours - it's been a few days now with no airlock activity, but the room smells like fermentation. It may have gone to town while I was at work.

I just popped the lid on the blueberry for a quick SG reading - the blueberries, at least the ones that weren't mashed up too much, were at the top and looked almost dry. They had formed sort of a "crust" on the top of what was clearly vigorously fermenting must. I mixed everything up and took a quick reading to confirm that sugar was, in fact, being converted to alcohol.

It smelled pretty awesome.

Ah...I never add airlock until SG dropped by 2/3. Use a food grade bucket with lid just resting on top. That way the yeast have access to the oxygen the want, and I can stir the must twice a day, and punch down the cap of fruit that floats up vs gently squeeze the fruit in straining bag.

Do you have any idea as to when you will remove the pulp...because it will create an off - flavor if you leave intact for too long?

Just an update on my batch - I lined a bucket with a large, nylon fruit bag and dumped the blueberry wine into it. I realized that separating the fruit from the wine was necessary at this point, but primary ferementation went well with the fruit suspended. I transferred the wine to secondary and measured gravity at 1.020. Still fermenting nicely (see photo). The smell and color are great.

In the original bucket, without rinsing or anything, I started a batch of skeeter pee. Added my sugar, lemon and water to 5 gallons, then dropped the nylon bag full of yummy blueberry goodness into that. I will check on its progress tonight.

2012-11-19%2020.37.34.jpg

Back