Bread...inspired by orfy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Well I'm sure everybody saw orfy's post about home made bread. Well I saw that thread and was inspired to try my hand at baking bread. It began to seem like I was hijacking Orfy's thread, so I figured I'd back off and start my own thread.

I made my first bread this morning. It followed his recipe pretty closely, except I added ground flax seed. It came out excellent. SWMBO and I ate the whole loaf in under half an hour!
6q1g8k3.jpg

Well, that bread was soo good that I wanted to make more. So I went to the store and got more flour and they were having a BOGO sale on all baking pans, so I bought two bread pans.

I made 2 loaves: A 10 grain bread (made with 10 grain hot cereal), and a Cinnamon bread (made with Splenda, no sugar...and it's really good!!!).

6xgn72u.jpg

I think I found another hobby! Between making beer and making bread, I'm going to have to watch it or I'll get fat(ter)!:D

That and this thread have inspired me too...I am going to go get the stuff tomorrow!

talleymonster said:
I think I found another hobby! Between making beer and making bread, I'm going to have to watch it or I'll get fat(ter)!:D

Don't worry, I like to say that homemade bread is pretty healthy since it's preservative-free and all that other crap :)

I mean, I've convinced myself to think that, at least.

You guys are going to have to get a sour dough starter swap going pretty soon if you keep this up!

I did the whole bread thing for a while some time back, but it got kind of routine. I still really enjoy making pizza dough every couple weeks, and it's always a hit with the wife and at least one of my two sons whenever dad makes pizza at home.

I still really need to get an unglazed quarry stone for the oven though...

ma2brew said:
I did the whole bread thing for a while some time back, but it got kind of routine.
That's when I bought a bread machine. It takes a lot of the "fun" out of the process, but if you're done with the "fun," you can still have great homemade bread in a few hours!

I have had a horrendous time getting a sour dough starter from scratch here in Nashville.

I'm gonna try Reinhart's raisin method next, but if that doesn't work I'm gonna have to get some from somewhere else :(

I'm SO doing this. I've kinda played around with pizza dough, but after seeing the baguettes, I was sold. Plus, it's a chance for me to slip a 12 lb scale for AG under SWMBO's radar :D I'm headed to the store right now!

PseudoChef said:
I have had a horrendous time getting a sour dough starter from scratch here in Nashville.

I'm gonna try Reinhart's raisin method next, but if that doesn't work I'm gonna have to get some from somewhere else :(

Well, crap. I'm sorry I missed this post. I would have put .5lb of my whole wheat sourdough starter in your Beerswap care package. You could always order the sourdough starter crock set from King Arthur. That's how I got mine started last year. The starter itself is only $6.95, but your going to pay shipping anyway, so you might as well buy the crock too. It comes in handy. I've converted my starter over to whole wheat. I should probably make another for white breads.

Chad

orfy said:
Well done guys.

Home made bread and beer.:mug:

I baked two loaves of Swedish Rye Bread this past Saturday. On Thanksgiving morning a loaf and a half are going to be mashed with some 6-row and a bit of specialty grains. This is going to be interesting! Anybody ever mashed bread and have any tips? I'm already going to add some rice hulls.

Back