Do you spray your faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
When I was a pro brewer, we had a policy of giving our faucets a quick squirt of sanitizer after a tour stopped by. I have been doing that at home at the end of the day. Since I started doing that, I have seen zero suspicious floaters in my pints.

Anyone else do this?

When I was a pro brewer, we had a policy of giving our faucets a quick squirt of sanitizer after a tour stopped by. I have been doing that at home at the end of the day. Since I started doing that, I have seen zero suspicious floaters in my pints.

Anyone else do this?

I don't have a spray method, but I have a faucet brush. Sometimes I happen to have a bucket of star-san from a brew/kegging day and I'll just brush out all the faucets with the star-san. I tend to do it every few days for as long as I have the star-san available.

That said, I recently built a bigger keezer that is now in the garage instead of the kitchen. I'm a bit more worried about fruit flies and the like, so I'm looking at a better option.

Here's what I've thought of:

1) Buy bottle of cheap vodka.
2) Have a mason jar (or similar) sitting on top of the keezer with a lid, full of cheap vodka.
3) At the end of the night, just dip the bottle brush in the vodka and brush out any faucets I've used.

Any downsides to using vodka for this sort of task? The main reason I thought of using vodka is that I know it will remain stable essentially forever. If I were to just fill the mason jar with star-san, would it be shelf-stable as a sanitizer for weeks/months?

I run six Perls and use these on all of 'em
31mO15GaCaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That keeps any wee beasties from nesting in the spouts, and periodic brush-out with a bit of BLC mix keeps them clean...

Cheers!

Anyone else do this?

Here is my solution to prevent any problems.
At the end of day I inject SANICLEAN into the vent hole and at the same time the spout is cleaned

VentHole-SaniClean.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Latest posts

Back