solenoid valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77punx

Reaction score
Hi guys Ive been piecing together a 10 gal direct fired rims for the last few months. I found a valve that is much cheaper than the asco valves on ebay take a look and let me know if you think they will suffice. I plan on using 3 of them in conjunction with 3 hurricane burners with the natural gas regulator converters. Let me know!
Here are the ascos
http://kscdirect.com/item/ASC%2B8210G094/AUTOMATIC%2BSWITCH%2BASCO_1%252F2%2522%2B8210G094%2BAsco%2B2-Way%2BSolenoid%2BValve%2B-%2B120V%252F60Hz%2B%252820229%2529%250A

Here are the ones on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Brass-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-110-120-VAC-Water-Air-Fuels-Gas-VITON-B21V-/290716195361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b0091a21

I would personally shy away from the valves in the second link, and I would not use an ASCO 8219G094 for natural gas service.

How much pressure are you providing to the valves?

For a 1/2" valve have you looked at the ASCO 8030G069? (0-8 psig)

They list for $168 brand new, and are from a manufacturer who has been around for over 100 years.

If you need high pressure the 8210G075 is good for 0-50 psig.

These list for $184 each.

As far as I knew natural gas was low pressure. That's why I hose the low pressure valve. Correct me if I'm wrong. The reason for choosing those over the ascos is strictly because of the price difference. 120 per valve is pretty steep price difference.

They list for $168 brand new, and are from a manufacturer who has been around for over 100 years.
:off:
Be careful with this kind of old world thinking... Todays businessmen have caught on and exploit it.

Do you know if asco is even still manufacturing them? Was asco an american manufacturing company? Looks like the asco valves are manufactured in mexico these days and likely by a contracted third party supplier, yet they are still sold at higher prices one would expect to justify american workers salaries.....That may or may not translate to actual better quality control , or just better dividends for their stockholders..

Companies like autolite, Polaroid RCA and zenith have also been around a hundred years but like many others they now only exist on paper and the only employees they have are lawyers and suits these days using an old well known purchased namebrand to peddle cheap generic products to unsuspecting customers that still shop by name brands they recognize. Many of these companies have closed their own manufacturing facilities or have been bought out by others that do it for them and some like polaroid went bankrupt and closed down only to have someone buy the brand naming rights to that use the name to peddle inferior products. Its a very big market these days to buy and sell these "brand naming rights" Honeywell does it with a lot of old name brand autoparts... I bought 4 autolite spark plugs for my old vw kitcar only to discover they varied slightly even though they were the same part number... long story short the 4 of them were made in 3 different countries and none of them were the US. and they were junk with off center electrodes and such.

Last edited:
Back