Distilled Versus Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdenmark

Reaction score
So I also have a question about what water to use in the beer brewing process. I had a local beer brewing store tell me to use distilled water when adding the finishing water to my wort. While looking around and doing more reading I have also heard comments saying that distilled water is not a good way to go. I know that if I were to use tap water I have to boil it first to get the chlorine out. Another person suggested using spring water? So many suggestions, and I am not quite sure which one is correct. If anyone has some insight in to this please let me know. :confused:
Thanks.

Garrett

I am sure he meant Spring Water not distilled.

Do you have a lot of chlorine in your water in Corvallis? I would use Bend City water right out of the tap when I topped off.

If you are worried about it, use bottled spring water to top off. You want the minerals that distilled water does not have.

As long as the water is clean your fine. Distilled or reverse osmosis (RO) water is usually OK as long as it is not a significant portion of the brew water. I use combination of RO water and filtered tap water to get the right amount of minerals in it. I usually use about 1/3 ro and 2/3 filtered tap water. The advantage of using bottled water is that you don't have to boil it first and it can help bring down the temperature of the wort faster.

I've never pre-boiled my tap water for top offs here in Orlando. I have never had any chlorine taste or smell issues. I think it depends on what quality of tap water you are getting. I'm no expert, but if you don't get a chlorine taste from drinking it, it should be fine.

charcoal filter and or camden talbets and tap water is fine. if it taste good it'll probably be fine for brewing with.

The problem with distilled or RO water is that it lacks some nutrients necessary for good yeast growth. IF you are an extract brewer then dont worry about that cause the extract already has those nutrients cause the people who made the extract didnt use distilled water. I generally used distilled water when doing extract batches since my water is pretty hard.

Latest posts

Back