Am I missing something?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy at work about his latest recipe, a wheat beer.
The jist for the grain bill was 6 lbs 2row, and 3lbs carawheat. I was like holy hell 3lbs cara wheat?? Thats going to be overly sweet, and I bet your gravity wont go lower than 1.020. Even wyermanns website says 15% max. We are talking 33% cystal malt. I once made a beer with 1lb crystal 60 and it tasted like a toffee bomb. I cant imagine what 3lbs of a crystal malt would taste like. Anyway he took a picture of his final gravity reading. 1.002, barely above 1.000 I was like WTF? I think its odd for any type of beer to dry up that much, let alone a beer with 3lbs of a crystal malt. Am I missing something? How is that possible? :confused:

I was talking to a guy at work about his latest recipe, a wheat beer.
The jist for the grain bill was 6 lbs 2row, and 3lbs carawheat. I was like holy hell 3lbs cara wheat?? Thats going to be overly sweet, and I bet your gravity wont go lower than 1.020. Even wyermanns website says 15% max. We are talking 33% cystal malt. I once made a beer with 1lb crystal 60 and it tasted like a toffee bomb. I cant imagine what 3lbs of a crystal malt would taste like. Anyway he took a picture of his final gravity reading. 1.002, barely about 1.000 I was like WTF? I think its odd for any type of beer to dry up that much, let alone a beer with 3lbs of a crystal malt. Am I missing something? How is that possible? :confused:

His hydrometer is broken? That sounds like a beer I wouldn't touch, but if someone has a sweet tooth they may like it.

That seems low, however, for my 2nd batch of AG, I tried converting a wild flower wheat extract recipe into an AG, but bought the carawheat by accident at the brew shop and wound up with the following grain bill:
- 7Lbs Pale Malt 2-Row US
- 4.25 Lbs Carawheat
- .25 lbs Rice Hulls

OG = 1.052
FG = 1.009

Last hydro sample I pulled tasted "Ok", it's by no means what I meant to make, but I'll be bottling it up this weekend and see what I get, but as far as fermenting is concerned, it seemed to ferment down just fine.

actually I think I know.....just double checked the recipe and there was 1Lbs of honey in the recipe too which may have something to do with it fermenting down that low. I forgot there was honey in that brew :(

I don't understand why yeast would matter...If crystal malt adds unfermentable sugars, why would any yeast ferment unfermentables?

Latest posts

Back