Turkey Fryer on Clearance @ Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
It's happened. The turkey fryers are on clearance at Target. They were originally $39.99. They were on sale at one point for $29.00. They are on clearance for $24.80. There are many of them left, so I'm keeping a very close eye. If they go any lower, I'm getting one!

thanks for the heads up. I might go get another one so I can cannibalize it and weld it onto my brewstand so both of my burners have flame guards around the burners.

LOL....if they're the same ones me and Dude started out with, they really ought to provide some hearing proteciton with those things. :D They're perfectly good burners, though, as are the pots that come with them.

What are the specs? SS ro Alum? Number of Qt's & BTU's? Always have space for another burner:D

Let's go Murphys....Let's go Murphys:cool:

Hippie said:
What are the specs? SS ro Alum? Number of Qt's & BTU's? Always have space for another burner:D

Let's go Murphys....Let's go Murphys:cool:

They're aluminum and 55,000 BTUs, I believe.

So Dude and Swami, you guys use the aluminum pots? I was going to continue using my speckled lobster pot, but if you guys use the aluminum pots.. I know that's a contentious issue and I don't want to incite a huge debate, but in reality is there really going to be any difference in the quality of my beer in an aluminum pot vs. a speckled lobster pot?

Orpheus said:
They're aluminum and 55,000 BTUs, I believe.

So Dude and Swami, you guys use the aluminum pots? I was going to continue using my speckled lobster pot, but if you guys use the aluminum pots.. I know that's a contentious issue and I don't want to incite a huge debate, but in reality is there really going to be any difference in the quality of my beer in an aluminum pot vs. a speckled lobster pot?

I've never used aliuminum as a pot, but I don't see a major problem with it.

I use my aluminum pot to heat up my HLT water now but before I got a keggle I used my 7.5g alum pot for my 1st 40 or so batches.

Orpheus said:
It's happened. The turkey fryers are on clearance at Target. They were originally $39.99. They were on sale at one point for $29.00. They are on clearance for $24.80. There are many of them left, so I'm keeping a very close eye. If they go any lower, I'm getting one!
That doesn't mean they're clearance anywhere else! Target does sell the fryers year-round, they just get extra during the holidays. Usually they get a bunch prior to Thanksgiving, then another smaller batch around Christmas. Other than that, they usually only have maybe 3 or 4 in the store at any given time.

The point is that just because it's clearance where you're at doesn't mean it's clearance chain-wide. It all depends on sales volume, product sell-through and on-hands.

How do I know all this? I used to be an asst manager at Target, and actually was in charge of the areas where they sold the turkey fryers.

As an fyi for anyone looking at there, I bought one in the hopes of using it as a brew kettle but the pot is like aluminum foil. No kidding. I garauntee if you bump it into anything you'll have a dent. Very thin gauge. But the burner seems ok. I didn't use it, just returned it (it was dented anyhow out of the box). But for the price anyways, I wasn't expecting anything great. Just be warned the pot is very cheap. Interestingly enough, they do sell one online for about $50 or so that has a spigot. So, if you buy it for the burner, I'd say it is probably worth it. But don't buy it for the kettle.

Orpheus said:
I was going to continue using my speckled lobster pot,

I have one of those ceramic speckled pots I use to heat my sparge water. Never boiled my wort in it, but its so thin I can have 5 gallons of sparge water boiling in 20 minutes.

I found one of these friers locally last night but i cant decide if i want it or not. Im not sure on the AL part.

The aluminum part is irrelevant; if you're finding it for $20 - $25, the burner itself will cost close to double that if you buy one separately in the future.

Besides, I don't think anyone believes that using AL simply to heat water (for mashing or sparging) is an issue; the controversy, as I understand it, lies in the acidity of the mash / boil. So, even if you don't use it for boiling wort, the pot still might come in handy.

the_bird said:
The aluminum part is irrelevant; if you're finding it for $20 - $25, the burner itself will cost close to double that if you buy one separately in the future.

Besides, I don't think anyone believes that using AL simply to heat water (for mashing or sparging) is an issue; the controversy, as I understand it, lies in the acidity of the mash / boil. So, even if you don't use it for boiling wort, the pot still might come in handy.

As a HLT it should be fine. The big debate does come into play as far as acidity of the wort. (disclaimer - not looking for a debate, I've made up my mind about it As opinions vary wildly about it, every one else should also. Just be informed of the possible issues.)

Every time you eat a restaurant and eat pasta, chances are extremely high the water is being boiled in an aluminum pot.

Back