The first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padronis

Reaction score
I ended up with a pretty nice setup of equipment for my first brew. Anyway, our first brew was an American IPA. The ingredients consisted of 1/2 lb 2 row barley, 1/4 lb Special B, 1 lb Crystal 60L, 8lb extra pale extract, 60 min of 1 oz. Galena hops, 15 min 1 oz. Centennial hops, 5 min of 1oz. extra of Centennial.

We steeped the grain at 155 degrees for 15 min as the directions said, then pulled them out and got the water to a nice boil. Turned the heat off again and added the extract. The original wort was boiled from 2.5G of water and then added about 3G more. We got the wort done and then boiled the extra 3 gallons in the brew kettle. I figured that would get what little bit of wort was left in the kettle plus the extra needed water. Once all was said and done I took a gravity reading and it was spot on the target 1.060 that we were shooting for according to the recipe. I was pretty freaking excited especially for my first time! :tank:

So far so good! It's fermenting nice and vigorous after about 12 hrs from the yeast pitch. I thought about putting the airlock on but decided not to and just used some sanitized foil. It is now overflowing with fermentation happiness into the tub we have it sitting in.

Back