c'mon neighbor!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
well i was showing my neighbor one of my willemette hops sprouting and the F*%$er poured a little beer onto the soil next to the plant! after a red face and a wtf why would you do that, we skimmed the foam away and it soaked the soil a little.

should i worry about anything? i'm not that great of a gardener! i told him i would burn down his house if it dies(empty threat, we're good friends).

anyways that pissed me off.

i'm also getting yellowish leaves on my two cascades. one looks pretty sick(small leaves and eaten up) and the other seems to being doing so so. calcium, is what i'm thinking from the homebrewers garden.

Youll be fine if he poured a whole beer right on it that might be a little different. But burn his house down anyways.

I don't know if you're familiar with "America's Master Gardner" Jerry Baker, he has a syndicated radio show, a ton of books and a website...He's been around since the 70's.

He's a big proponent of making up tonics out of household ingredients for plant/lawn health...If I recall almost all his outdoor tonics call for a can of beer.

Here's one from his website

Proper nutrients are also vital for developing a deep-rooted lawn. If they are not present, your grass will have little to grow on. To get the proper nutrients, start a regular shampooing and feeding program with my All-Season “Green-Up” Tonic: 1 can of beer, 1 cup of ammonia, 1/2 cup of dish soap, 1/2 cup of Liquid Lawn Food, and 1/2 cup of molasses or corn syrup. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bucket, then pour into a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer and apply to your lawn.

I used to use one of his tonic recipes on my compost piles when I had a yard, that called for both a can of beer and a can of cola and some ofther stuff that I forget, it seemed to speed up the composting.

i'm still going to give him a hard time for awhile before i tell him these things. today i told him they died! :D

Aw, come on--give him a break. He was just encouraging your hops. You know, show 'em what they're supposed to do and all.

"Now, eat your nitrogen or you'll never grow up to make an IPA like your cousin here!"

True, there's no reason to burn his house down, but you can still do it anyway.

Take pics.

Thats what I'm talking about brother! Burn it DOWN!!!!! And RDWHAHB Its hard to kill hops. I know this cause I grow them and I suck at growing plants too!!! If they don't grow great this year they will grow 10x better next year for sure!:mug:

The stuff in beer is actually good for plants, and it is sometimes reccomended to water your lawn with diluted beer. Of course hops aren't your lawn, and beer from a can is not diluted, but don't worry about it.

it does make sense now that ya'll made me think about it. beer is made from the earth.

i'll get to work on the house burning part tomorrow. wonder if you can brew beer in prison.

Make a high alcohol brew and pour it on his house then set it on fire. Leave enough to drink while you watch.

- WW

He lightly fertilized your plant. All of my brews when racking get taken outside, shaken up to get all the yeast/trub off the bottom, and then nicely poured around my plants. Very nice high B-vitamin fertilizer. :)

Back