When to plant in Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
I ordered three rhizomes from Freshops and they arrived two weeks ago and have been in my fridge (per storage directions from Freshops) waiting to be planted. I've never grown hops before and I am wondering when I should plant them. I live in central Michigan and our weather has been getting warmer but still around 32 at night. Is there anyone else in my region (or a similar climate) with advice on when to plant? Thanks in advance!

Put them in the ground already, If the soil is soft enough to dig you can plant them.

Thanks for the advice. This past weekend was a bit chilly but it's supposed to warm up this week and stay that way so I put them on Sunday. It's my first time growing them so we'll see what happens.

Mine are all inside in pots. I am going to wait about another week. If you plant them keep an eye on the weather. If they are calling for temps below 32* make sure to cover them up.

I'd plant in pots inside to start. There will be less chance of a late freeze slowing them down that way. I'd wait until mid to late April to plant outside.

Back