any side effect to using 100% RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
im looking to do a batch using 100% RO water. no adding of salts or minerals. will the beer be fine with no side effects or off flavors? my tap water is ok, but im suspecting my ph is too high during mash causing some tannin issues. should i mix in some tap water with the RO for mashing? what about sparge? if so, what percentages would you recommend?

I typically blend my carbon filtered tap water with RO water. Porters, stouts, malty darker ales get 60~70% tap to 40~30% RO. Lighter beers, IPA's, or delicate beers get much higher percentages of RO water. I have done some 100% RO beers but in those cases I did add something to the water. In one case all I added was some acid blend to balance PH.

I've been following ajdelange's water primer and use RO exclusively as my base (both mashing and sparging) since my water is extraordinarily hard. Check out the link, he suggests a few salt additions based on the beer you're brewing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

You'll read a lot of posts where the brewer will suggest that you don't have enough salts/minerals for the mash and fermentation; however this, seemingly, is not wholly accurate.

I seem to recall some experiments (not by ajdelange) done by Braukaiser, or somebody, doing experiments with this.

You're fine with all RO water in general. If you really want to ensure a good fermentation, follow the primer and add 5 grams (one teaspoon) of calcium chloride to the water.

You're fine with all RO water in general. If you really want to ensure a good fermentation, follow the primer and add 5 grams (one teaspoon) of calcium chloride to the water.

^^Thats exactly what I've been doing lately and its working great. If you're worried about pH, I have a pH meter and have checked the last couple mashes, they've been spot on.

im thinking maybe i should try a 50/50 blend of tap and RO, both strike and sparge. this way i can hopefully keep my PH in check + have enough minerals for the yeast and healthy fermentation. thoughts?

Ok, I'm newer than most (My first batch won't be ready to bottle until Monday). What is RO water?

Ok, I'm newer than most (My first batch won't be ready to bottle until Monday). What is RO water?

'RO' refers to 'reverse osmosis', a method of purifying water by removing dissolved solids through a high-density filter. Most bulk bottled water you get in supermarkets (that is to say, the water you get from the bottling machines in the store, not the pre-bottled water sold at the counter) is purified this way; it is significantly less expensive than distillation, and very effective at removing contaminants.

The down side is that, as with distillation, it removes all dissolved minerals, not just the undesirable ones. This means that when mashing an all-grain or partial-mash batch with RO water, you need to selectively add back the minerals needed to get the proper pH balance, as well as the nutrients the yeast will need for fermentation.

Now, since the 'correct' mineral balance for a batch varies from recipe to recipe, it is generally a good idea to add (or in the case of extremely hard water, remove) a certain amount of minerals anyway, so in places where the water has too much of certain minerals (usually CaCO3), it makes sense to can use RO water, if you then adjust the dissolved solids and pH afterwards by mineral and acid additions.

Note that the correct pH for sparge water is generally much lower than that for mash water, hence the need to acidify sparge water.

Getting the right balance is tricky, but there are tools such as EZ Water, Bru'n Water, or Braukaiser's Water Calculator, to automatically compute the optimal additions.

Everyone reading this should seriously check out the Ajdelange primer posted by Yooper.

Here's the info from the first post:

"One of the first things a beginning brewer is told is that beer is typically 95% water and that, as a consequence of this, getting the water one brews with “correct” for the style is very important. He is also told that most beer styles evolved the way they did because of the nature of the water with which they were originally brewed. Those statements are true enough but the process of understanding what is “correct” and the process of going between the water one has and the “correct” water is, to many, one of the most daunting aspects of brewing.

Many beginning and advanced brewers assume that it is necessary when brewing, for example, a Munich Helles, to duplicate Munich water and there are many places where one can find ion profiles for Munich water and spreadsheets into which one can insert those profiles and details of one’s own water and be given advice on what minerals to add to duplicate Munich. There are multiple potential problems with this approach. First, published water reports are very often wrong. Second, it is not enough to know what Munich water is like, You must also know what the brewer did to make the beer with the existing water. In the case of Helles, for example, the water needs to be softened. Finally, the spreadsheets often calculate salt additions based on simplifications of the chemistry involved, consideration of things that are essentially irrelevant (beer color, chloride to sulfate ration) and reliance on models of things (e.g. effects of dark malt on mash pH) that really can’t be modeled very well. When all the approximations are good the result can be fine but when they aren’t the result can be salt addition recommendations that can have a detrimental effect on the beer,

In this note we are going to take a very simple approach to brewing water preparation. In tailoring water we seek 2 goals. The first, arguably more important than the second, is to be sure that the water properties are consistent with mash pH in a suitable range (5.1 – 5.5). The second is that, on the one hand, the mineral content not add or cause flavors which the drinker may not like and on the other that minerals which have a positive effect on the beer, be available in adequate quantity, The first goal cannot be achieved by the use of water treatment alone. Acid is usually required. This is traditionally supplied in German brewing by the use of lactic acid in the form of sauermalz (acidulated malt) or sauergut (wort fermented by lactic bacteria) while in British practice a blend of mineral acids is usually empoyed. Thus the recommendations that follow also specify acid additions.

The following recommendations apply to “soft” water. Here we will define soft as meaning RO or distilled water or any water whose lab report indicates alkalinity less than 35 (ppm as CaCO3 – all other numbers to follow mg/L), sulfate less than 20 (as sulfate – Ward Labs reports as sulfur so multiply the SO4-S number by 3 to get as sulfate), chloride less than 20, sodium less than 20, calcium less than 20 and magnesium less than 20. If your water has numbers higher than these, dilute it with RO or DI water. A 1:1 dilution reduces each ion concentration to 1/2, a 2:1 dilution to 1/3 and so on. If your water contains chloramines add 1 campden tablet per 20 gallons (before any dilution)

Baseline: Add 1 tsp of calcium chloride dihydrate (what your LHBS sells) to each 5 gallons of water treated. Add 2% sauermalz to the grist.

Deviate from the baseline as follows:

For soft water beers (i.e Pils, Helles). Use half the baseline amount of calcium chloride and increase the sauermalz to 3%

For beers that use roast malt (Stout, porter): Skip the sauermalz.

For British beers: Add 1 tsp gypsum as well as 1 tsp calcium chloride

For very minerally beers (Export, Burton ale): Double the calcium chloride and the gypsum.

These recommendations should get you a good beer if not the best beer. To get the best you should vary the amounts of the added salts noting carefully whether a change benefits or detriments your enjoyment of the beer. Additional sulfate will sharpen the perceived hops bitterness. Additional chloride will round, smooth and sweeten the beer. Add or decrease these in small amounts.

Those serious about getting the best possible results should buy a pH meter and check mash pH increasing or decreasing the amount of sauermalz to get pH around 5.3. Unfortunately the strips don’t seem to work very well."

I've been following ajdelange's water primer and use RO exclusively as my base (both mashing and sparging) since my water is extraordinarily hard. Check out the link, he suggests a few salt additions based on the beer you're brewing.

You'll read a lot of posts where the brewer will suggest that you don't have enough salts/minerals for the mash and fermentation; however this, seemingly, is not wholly accurate.

I seem to recall some experiments (not by ajdelange) done by Braukaiser, or somebody, doing experiments with this.

I use the same primer info for my beers and my efficiency has went up at least a good 15% and sometimes 20%. My water is extremely hard and unless I am brewing a stout, my efficiency is garbage. I use base RO water (.37 a gal at Wally World:rockin:) and occasionally use some tap water in an emergency (not enough sparge, mash temp too low/high, etc...).

Schol-R-LEA, the nerd in me loves the detailed explanation, the novice's head just exploded though! Thank you!

I just moved and have not yet sent my water sample to Wards so I brewed recently with straight softened tap water....and I have no idea what my ph is because I can't find my ph tester :( At my previous residence, I had a Wards analysis and typically added salts and the like in the fashion of the primer info. My efficiency was typically in the 78-80 range which the local LHBS guy (multi, multi award winner) said was great, and where he operated. The batch I did last week dropped to 71% so I am definitely in need of analysis and water additives.....got to get that sample off to Wards.:eek:

Back