White Labs Sour Mix and Flemish Ale storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo_feezy

Reaction score
Hey all, I got a vial of each today. Should these be stored just like regular liquid pitch-able yeast in the refrigerator.

I'd stick it in the fridge. It has sacc yeast that is best stored at cold temperatures.

However, saying that I deliberately store my re-pitch samples of sour wort at room temps to allow the bugs to develop before the next pitch.

I'd be interested in what others think.

Another question. If I am just pitching the vial directly into the wort after chilling, what should I do about oxygenation. Yay or Nay?

mo_feezy said:
Another question. If I am just pitching the vial directly into the wort after chilling, what should I do about oxygenation. Yay or Nay?

Yay - still aerate after pitching like usual. Like the previous poster noted, the sour mix has sacc and Brett and needs oxygen for normal primary fermentation like usual. I just brewed a batch with the Belgian Sour Mix last weekend actually.

Thanks for the reply. I'm excited. Two 6 gallon batches today with two blends. Hoping to be drinking sours next year.

Back