MRB Bottling Bucket | Please Help! Priming Sugar Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2005

Reaction score
***TLDR: How much priming sugar do I use for a batch priming a Mr. Beer

If using a bottling bucket, how much priming sugar should I use for one LBK?

Also, how much water should I use to dissolve it in?

I should add that I'm using corn sugar.

Quoting myself on this. I used one of these calculator web sites to try to figure this out.

The beer I'm making is the Czech Republic Pilsner.

I wasn't sure what to put for the BJCP style, so I put Northern German Pilsner. That told me 2.52 Volumes of CO2.

MRB is 2.5 gallons correct? I'm not 100% sure on this point. I fermented around 65F the entire time, and its just below that right now.

This is what it tells me:

Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 2.2 oz (62.4g)
Sucrose (table sugar) 2.1 oz

I will be using Corn Sugar, so 2.2 oz. Is that by weight or volume? My sugar is in dry form, so do I just put it in a measuring cup, and then put some water in there and boil in the microwave?

This is the Calculator I was using by the way... http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

On another note, the first MRB batch I made was the Mexican Cerveza, and it carbed nicely. It made 25x12oz bottles. I put 3/4tsp in each bottle.

I want to use a bottling bucket this time though, so mathematically, it would take 18.75tsp. That is about .390 US cups or 3.125 US oz...

My math feels wrong...

Could you elaborate a bit on that?

I don't own a scale, I was using those little black plastic measuring spoons you can buy anywhere.

I still need to know how much sugar to use : \

Sorry. When you asked if it was weight or volume, I thought you were asking how someone would recommend you measure it (which would be by weight).

That being said, it is probably not going to be wildly inaccurate to measure by volume. It will take me a little bit of research first though...

Well, I'll have to buy a small scale then.

I still need to know how much sugar to use. I have been snooping around on the Mr Beer forums too...

Mr. Beer can probably fit 2.5 gallons, but it's not really a 2.5 gallon fermenter. You should probably leave a bit of head room in there so krausen doesn't shoot out the lid/airlock thing. Did you fill it up all the way? If you filled it only to the 8.5 quart mark then it is only 8.5 quarts, and will be a little less when you bottle because of the trub you'll leave behind. Another post I read suggests that the bottom of the word "quart" is approximately 2.4 gallons.

Latest posts

Back