Hop Boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBrady26

Reaction score
I am doing a Mexican Cerveza, Coopers style. I am adding an ounce of Citra hops. After I boil them for 20 mins (To remove bitterness. Not a big fan of hoppy beer), do I a pour the hop solution into the wort or just drop in the hop sack? This Citra hops is supposed to have a nice citrus taste and aroma. I'm jacked to see how it turns out in this Mexican Cerveza.

Thanks.

I think you are a little confused. The longer you boil hops the more bitterness they impart and the less flavor and aroma they impart. The less time the hops are boiled the less bitterness they impart and the more flavor and aroma they contribute.

Just use the citra as a flavoring and aroma hop.Out of a 60 minute wort boil, add hop additions at 15 mins for flavoring, 5 mins and 0 mins for aroma. You should add some small amount of a clean bittering hop at the 60 minute mark but it doesn't have to be much. Say, .5 oz of citra.

Yes I was confused. I have it straight now. Found another post on here that explained it really well. Doing a 10 minute boil on hops. Then adding the Coopers extract and 2# of corn sugar to amp it up a little. Then dumpin it all into the fermenting bucket. 6 minutes to go on the hop boil.

I like the carboy for being able to see the fermentation process and the trub buildup and the overall process of the beer making. However, I DON'T like trying to get the wort into the carboy. That was about the only drawback to using a carboy again. OH, and cleaning it is a hassle too. Oh, and stirring it up and aerating it for yeast pitch.

I like the bucket for the ease of getting the wort into it, stirring it up, aerating it for yeast pitch and cleaning. I don't like that I can't see what's going on. With a really bright flashlight I can tell that there is foam at the top of the mixture. SO, I guess it's doing its thing. 2 weeks and I'll know.

My O.G. was 1043. Seemed a little high, but then I remembered that I got in a hurry and had already pitched the yeast. Not sure how much of an effect that would have on the gravity. Any of y'all know?

Thanks.

Yes I was confused. I have it straight now. Found another post on here that explained it really well. Doing a 10 minute boil on hops. Then adding the Coopers extract and 2# of corn sugar to amp it up a little. Then dumpin it all into the fermenting bucket. 6 minutes to go on the hop boil.

Are you going to boil the hops in water? If so, I think that's a bad idea.

Back