pilsner dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
pilsner dry hopping

I was thinking in addition to doing a czech pilsner with saaz hops; it may aslo be a good idea to dry hop as well.

Your thoughts?

First, pilsners shouldn't be dry hopped...but that's kinda beside the point. IME, Saaz makes a poor dry hop. Vegetal and grassy.

Denny said:
First, pilsners shouldn't be dry opped...but that'skinda beside the point. IME, Saaz makes a poor dry hop. Vegetal and grassy.

I agree. I've been trying for years to make a great pils. Imo, pils are hard to do well. I can never get the big fresh hop nose to hang around. Ie victory prima pils. I've dry hopped with saaz. Bad idea. I just kegged a saphir pils that I dry hopped. I think I might be onto something with this one.

If I didnt specify; I was thinking of saaz for the boil and chinook or citra for a dry hop. But most likely I wont dry hop and save my hops for an pale ale.

First, pilsners shouldn't be dry hopped...but that's kinda beside the point. IME, Saaz makes a poor dry hop. Vegetal and grassy.

I dunno... I used to work with a Czech guy that had worked at a couple breweries in the Czech Republic and he told me that a fair number did dry hop their beer. *shrug* Granted that is second hand knowledge, but I have no reason to think he was B.S.ing me.

That being said, I have never done it and don't think I would. I like to hit it hard at the 10 minute and flame out marks and have always had the character I was shooting for.

Back