I learned today she's not a real blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgingHopster

Reaction score
:( So, I brewed a blond ale and fermented it in a 15.5 gallon sanke keg. I racked it today into a couple of glass carboys and as it turned out she's more of a brunette than a blond. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's so dark. Beersmith 2 says its supposed to be SRM 4.0 but my chart is showing it to be almost SRM 25. The only clue I have as to what happened is in the Lyel's Golden Syrup. I missed my OG and had to add something to bring it up. The LHBS was closed so I took a chance and added the only thing I had which was an 11 oz jar of Lyel's. The stuff hit the bottom of the keggle and might have caramelized making it darker. I know it hit the bottom because after I added it I ran my paddle across the bottom and felt it thicken up. I stired till it felt normal. That's the only thing I can think might have happened. If anyone would care to look over this recipe and add any suggestions I would be very thankful.

Here is the recipe:

Centennial Blonde (10gal)
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.44 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

14 lbs 8 oz Pale Malt (6 Row)
1 lbs 8 oz Cara-Pils
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 10L
1 lbs Vienna Malt

(Added 11 oz Lyle's Golden Syrup to bring up missed OG)

0.5 oz Centennial 55 min
0.5 oz Centennial 35 min
0.5 oz Cascade 10 min
1.0 oz Centennial 5.0 min
0.5 oz Cascade

2 pkg Nottingham, Danstar

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs
----------------------------
Mash In: Add 26.50 qt of water at 161.9 F -152 F 60 min
Mash Out: Add 12.60 qt of water at 205.8 F -168 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 6.83 gal water at 168.0 F

Looking at it in the carboy will not give you a true indication of the color. You're loooking though a lot more of the beer than will be in your glass.
I bet you'll be surprised at the results when you pour your first glass.
Good luck :mug:
Bull

bullinachinashop said:
Looking at it in the carboy will not give you a true indication of the color. You're loooking though a lot more of the beer than will be in your glass.
Bull

^^ the answer

Bull

I suppose I should have been a little more clear. I was comparing the color as it ran through my 1/2" racking cane as well as how it looks in the carboy. I have app called brewzor that I used to "guess" color. I understand beer in a carboy always looks darker but this is as dark as some of my old ales. Its supposed to be as light or lighter as my cream ales and hefes. Not to mention I already had some in a glass for gravity reading so I know it's too dark. I highly doubt if this is going to lighten up. I just want to find out what happened since I am at a total loss to explain it. Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a SRM 4.0 and in the glass it was way darker, more like an Irish Red. I'm wondering about the Lyle's Golden Syrup because I don't think anything in the grain bill would have made it this dark.

I guess I'll just call it a Dirty Blonde...:D

Sorry AgingHopster - Dirty Blonde is already taken....
thats when i spilled 1/2 of my grain on my garage floor, swept it up, and threw it in the mash. That was truly a dirty blonde... :fro:

Perhaps something like "Missed what I was trying to hit, so I had to sweeten her up a bit" (kind of long, but hey, it works!)

Maybe you accidentally got a higher crystal?

That may be the case. As I was trouble shooting possible causes, I thought that might have been what happened.

Sorry AgingHopster - Dirty Blonde is already taken....
thats when i spilled 1/2 of my grain on my garage floor, swept it up, and threw it in the mash. That was truly a dirty blonde... :fro:

Perhaps something like "Missed what I was trying to hit, so I had to sweeten her up a bit" (kind of long, but hey, it works!)

Ok well think I'll have to go with A.I. Blonde! My buddy told me a joke yesterday: What do you call a natural blonde who died her hair brunette? Artificial Intellegence!!! :D :ban: :D

I had a similar issue

9# of two row and 1# of honey malt resulted in a much darker beer than I would have ever guessed

I'm guessing kettle caramelazation might have been the culprit but I really have no idea

I had a similar issue

9# of two row and 1# of honey malt resulted in a much darker beer than I would have ever guessed

I'm guessing kettle caramelazation might have been the culprit but I really have no idea

I'm hoping you are right! If that's the cause I can deal with it, i think. Not knowing what the heck happened would drive me nuts. When things go wrong, having "a" clue is way better than having "no" clue.

Back