Srceenplay's bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srceenplay

Reaction score
Well I'm going to try and do this my self. The wife and I don't have much confidence in that, but well see. I have read so many of the keezer/bar builds and most of you make it look simple. My biggest problem is I'm undecisive and a procrastinator.

So far this is what I have. I plan on making an L shape bar with the entrance to the left side. It doesn't seem like I need to build a base for the freezer as it seems that it about the same hight as the cabinet is now.

I'm still kinda undecided about a counter top. The wife all ways wanted granite but that won't be possible with lid. We have seen some solid surface counter tops that are seamless. They look nice and about as heavy as firmika but then I'll need a seem for the lid. Not sure how that would look.

I guess all I need to do is frame out and box in the fridges leaving a couple inches gap around all sides. Skin it with oak ply wood. Put decorative trim on and stain??

A friend told me he thinks with two fridges I'll need to run a new line and breaker.?.

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. Thanks for the help,input,opinions.

image-3021937025.jpg

image-1766948501.jpg

image-3448754319.jpg

I've seen some very impressive bar tops made out of hardwood flooring.

Are you going to be putting in a sink? If your not you could swap the freezer with the cabinets on the wall.

Chrisl77 said:
Are you going to be putting in a sink? If your not you could swap the freezer with the cabinets on the wall.

Yes there will be a sink. Plumbing is behind that wall

day_trippr said:
Is the "c" in "Srceenplay" silent or what?

Cheers! ;)

15 years ago when I made my first name screenplay was taken. So.... Srceenplay it is.

I just noticed that the freezer has an alarm on it. So do I have to hunt it down and cut it out?

image-3011873158.jpg

day_trippr said:
Just switch it off. That's what I did on my keezer ('cuz otherwise it would be sounding off 24/7)...

Cheers!

It's that simple?

Anyone know how high I need to the frame for the bar? I know I saw it on here but can't find it.

My daughters birthday parties this weekend but if I have time I'm gonna try to frame it in.

Having trouble trying to figure out how to do the top. This is what I was thinking.

What if the top was a floating top just attached to the front with hinges. Would it work/hold up?

Here are some pics to help visualize what I'm saying.

Not in the picture but I was thinking of maybe having a board on the back bottom side of the counter top. Just so when I raise the lid it bottoms out and sits on the back wall.

image-548737019.jpg

image-390324542.jpg

I just saw a thread tonight that had a similar situation. They did away with the hinges on the freezer and made the countertop the lid. Hinges were on the "chair" side of the bar.

Ok. I've done some more thinking.

I'm making a bar ledge/top above the counter top. If I had a false wall, one I can remove to open, it would hide everything for me.

Here are some more pics of what I got going so far.

Also some pics of the false wall idea. (proof of concept )

image-423682057.jpg

image-2567786517.jpg

image-1826028679.jpg

image-111979717.jpg

day_trippr said:
Just switch it off. That's what I did on my keezer ('cuz otherwise it would be sounding off 24/7)...

Cheers!

Ok. So how did you do this exactly?

Anyone know how high I need to the frame for the bar? I know I saw it on here but can't find it.

My daughters birthday parties this weekend but if I have time I'm gonna try to frame it in.

The standard height of a bar is 42". Use this and work backwards, subtracting any and all materials from the surface of the bar top down.

Thanks. Not sure what kind of top I'll be using yet, but I'll be close to 42 give or take a couple of "

Well I got my love temp controller wired in. It's not permanent yet. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have problems before I skined the bar up.

It does get warmer than I thought it would on the skin of the freezer all around. I might have to incorporate decretive grates/vents all around the bar. Ideas?

Plan on ordering countertops this weekend if I have time. I thinking about waiting till I get them to finish so I can build around them.

Wired in lights this weekend. Have some solid surface countertops that should be in the first on may. I'll wait to skin the walls until I get the tops on so I can skin up to the top.

Am I doing something wrong or buy the wrong wood?? Why is there different shades? It's like it's three different pieces.

image-76311007.jpg

Maple ply wood skin that I was going to use for my bar. Now I don't know. Don't like the three piece look.

Wife hates it and wants a solid tone look.

Looks like I wasted 160 bucks.

Is all the plywood going to be like that?

It's about 8 1/2' by 6 1/2'

Still need to buy drip trays and do some tile and trim work.

Where are some place to get long drip trays?

I can't decide if I want to go with cut out style or just one long one.

I think I'm going to put another tower up sometime soon. Right now they are 16" cc. Without out state they will only have about 4" between each one. I think i might as well just go with one long one.

Back