60 qt. false bottom boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
I just got a 60 qt. stainless kettle that has a false bottom and drain valve. Wanted to know if it is common to cool the wort in the kettle or to drain off and then cool? I'm assuming the cold break would clog the drain right? Can this kettle be used as a mash tun as well? If I want to do a partial mash can anyone suggest the best way to do this with this type of kettle? It has a thermometer built into it as well. Any tips appreciated.
mfs

If you are going to use the same pot for MLT and Kettle you might want to look into Brew In A Bag methods.

No the cold break will not clog the valve. Almost all chill in the kettle. You are going to want to get an Immersion Chiller at the very least.

I tried the kettle for the first time on a six gallon boil and the damn ball valve started leaking. I had to rack to another pot to finish the california common that was going. Anyways, now I need to figure out what the deal is. It must be the gasket on the interior of the kettle. Maybe I tightened too much and tore the gasket? Who knows, really could have used it to separate out all the northern brewer hops!
mfs

Is this a store bought product or a pot that you or someone else installed the ball valve on?

its from that company homebrewstuff.com, i think that the manufacturer is Thunder Co? I dissasembled the valve to check the gasket since i thought it could be torn, but it looks fine. Maybe it was not on tight enough? I put back together using two wrenches so it is really on solid now. Might have expanded during the heat of the boil and was not on tight enough to prevent a leak. Have to wait till next brew day. If I was to use the kettle as a mash tun, would there be any problem in draining it out after mashing in, cleaning out the spent grain and then reusing for my boil? I am assuming you could just sparge in the pot after draining? I do have a big igloo water cooler that I could probably convert to mash tun though...

Back