Sam Adams Winter Lager(Obnoxious relatives)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
I didn't feel like drinking wine or brandy, so I drank SA. I dumped the first bottle,
but then my uncle got so obnoxious I needed them, so I suffered thru them. In my opinion, this was not good beer. But it served it's purpose.

Personally I think it's not a bad beer, I'd take it over BMC anyday.

They have it on tap all over the place around here. Sam Adams is my go to beer at a lot of restaurants that lack a good beer selection, and most have this one right now, so I will have it. It's not bad, but I only drink it when it's the best thing available.

Its becoming the "in" thing now for some craft beer people to start bashing Sam Adams products. None of their beers are dumpable...not even close. For a beer to be dumbable it has to be downright offensive and I've only run across that once or twice in my life. Most recently was a bottle of Stone Coast IPA that was clearly well beyond shelf life. One sip and I gagged. Thats a dumpable beer. I think people are just so much into the hop bombs that their taste buds have become dulled to the point of not being able to appreciate a pretty complex , although milder, beer like the Winter Lager. I think threads like this detract from the forums as the initial post had no relevant discussion whatsoever. How about telling exactly why you thought it was such a awful product with some real good insight...was it the hop character, the spicing, etc? Merely stating it was a piece of crap and you suffered through it sounded like irrelavent 18 year old teenage banter. Its like you saw everyone else bashing Sam and you had to join the "cool" group. I guess my point is that Sam Adams is one company that generally does things right and I want them to continue to be around. Posts like this might persuade one or 2 people from trying one of their products. Sure SA has misses but you don't win multiple gold medals in multiple style catagories for putting out swill.

The Cranberry Lambic is dumpable...

Don't dismiss the fact that your tastes can change in a short period of time. Several times, I almost dumped the first beer from a six-pack: Barely choking it down.A week later I decided to try another and really liked it.

Depends on time, food, last beer you had, what snack you finished, etc.

I did not enjoy the cranberry lambic, but it may be I don't like lambics, as that's the only one I've had. I actually really enjoy the winter lager, I may need to buy a case to keep around for a while.

Its becoming the "in" thing now for some craft beer people to start bashing Sam Adams products. None of their beers are dumpable...not even close. For a beer to be dumbable it has to be downright offensive and I've only run across that once or twice in my life. Most recently was a bottle of Stone Coast IPA that was clearly well beyond shelf life. One sip and I gagged. Thats a dumpable beer. I think people are just so much into the hop bombs that their taste buds have become dulled to the point of not being able to appreciate a pretty complex , although milder, beer like the Winter Lager. I think threads like this detract from the forums as the initial post had no relevant discussion whatsoever. How about telling exactly why you thought it was such a awful product with some real good insight...was it the hop character, the spicing, etc? Merely stating it was a piece of crap and you suffered through it sounded like irrelavent 18 year old teenage banter. Its like you saw everyone else bashing Sam and you had to join the "cool" group. I guess my point is that Sam Adams is one company that generally does things right and I want them to continue to be around. Posts like this might persuade one or 2 people from trying one of their products. Sure SA has misses but you don't win multiple gold medals in multiple style catagories for putting out swill.

Amen. +100

I didn't say that I didn't like a beer to be cool and join a group to bash sam adams. Matter of fact, I liked every other one of their products I have tried.
I don't care for overly hoppy beers, so you assumed wrong on that. In my opinion, that beer was not good to me. I don't care what anyone else drinks, not my place to tell others whats good or not.

I agree, The Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat are bad. But I will choke down the 2 lambics I have to buy just to get 2 Fezziwigs. Wish i could find that by itself in the grocery store.

I enjoy all SA's I've tried besides the 2 listed above.

Cherry Wheat is the worst beer I have ever tried. I like all of the other SA products though.

+1 on that. Sam Adams usually gets it right, but the Cherry Wheat is one of the worst beers I have had (and I used to drink Keystone in college).
As far as the Winter Lager goes, I can't drink more than 2 of those in one sitting; I think it's too spicy. Of course, I don't yet have the sophisticated palate that most of you enjoy. I do have a friend who loves spicy winter beers, though, so to each his/her own. They just are not for me.

I think the winter lager rocks! Its wierd because I am not a fan of hoppy beers. Anyone know the IBU's?

I was a bit disappointed in this year's SAWL. I had it on tap and it just didn't seem as bold or malty as in the past. Not bad, just not what I remember from previous years. I like most SA beers except the much maligned Cranberry Lambic. And the past two year's worth of Holiday Porters I had were heavy on the diacetyl. IMHO, Old Fezzi is the best of their winter 12-pk.

I like the Winter Lager and its a pretty good go to beer when out in places that only carry BMC. Their Old Fezziwig Ale is, IMO, the best beer they make. They should put that out in 6 pks during the holiday season.

I really like the winter lager, I had it on draft a while back this winter/fall. Out of the dozen or so different SA beers I've had its been my favorite.

I worry that is not as good in the bottle though. Anyone compared the draft to bottled?

I liked the Winter Lager. Bought a few to try and drank them pretty quick. I have not been a huge fan of SA. I like a couple of their regulars, and some of the limiteds, but I wont' automatically purchase one and expect a great beer.

The Cherry wheat was good when I was younger, but I got a 6-pack this summer and had a hard time drinking them all.

I liked the Winter Lager. Bought a few to try and drank them pretty quick. I have not been a huge fan of SA. I like a couple of their regulars, and some of the limiteds, but I wont' automatically purchase one and expect a great beer.

You took the words right out of my mouth! The winter lager was actually one of the first SA I've enjoyed in a long time.

Cherry Wheat is the worst beer I have ever tried. I like all of the other SA products though.

Oh come on. The first sip of Cherry Wheat is delicious. Ok, the rest of the bottle could gag you. I understand that a spoonful of sugar makes cough syrup go down easier. Maybe you try that. :)

yes yes - please put the Fezziwig in 6 packs!!! Thats the best beer they make. I do like the winter lager too - currently have a dozen in my fridge which I partake in when I want a little spice.

I really enjoy the winter lager as a session beer and was actually looking for a clone recipe when I stumbled upon this thread...it made me sad at first. That Cherry Wheat was terrible though.

Had another Winter Lager at a bar downtown last night. Really very good! Not from tap though. I work with the owner and he only buys crap in kegs. I feel lucky he has the SA bottles.

If this was a poll, the OP would be sorely outvoted.

I was INSPIRED!!!!!!!

A dark wheat lager??? Sure, someone come along and correct me, but I am seriously thinking of a dark wheat Imperial Stout.

This beer is awesome.

I got SWMBO a sixer because she is a SA, guinness, and miller only drinker.....

I DRANK 4 OF THEM........

I passed up my mocha porter (not to be trifled with), my homegrown hop IPA (no joke there either) and both ESB and IPA from red hook (both damn good for the $), all in my fridge, for the SA winter lager.

YUM.

Thank you for posting that...

Many think of Sam Adams is now like the big corporate enemy, so micro-nanos and homebrewers will bash them...and Jim Koch would lend any help to the woman in Beer Wars who was trying to market caffeine beer....but Sam Adams is a good American beer, and as a company, they are still 10000x better than Bud (and Coors, Miller.) I thought the Beer Wars was a little bit more of a marketing tool for Dogfish Head than it was an expose on the Anheiser Bush evils. Dogfish head is not a whole lot different than Boston Brewing Co. is these days. But we should support all these guys. Sam Adams is pretty good.

I realize it's an old post but....hi Jim!

yes yes - please put the Fezziwig in 6 packs!!! Thats the best beer they make. I do like the winter lager too - currently have a dozen in my fridge which I partake in when I want a little spice.

This was my least favorite in the winter sampler 12 pack!lol.

To each their own.

The white ale is beautiful, the chocolate bock is unique and soooo chocolaty, Old fezziwig-OK, christmas ale- OK, winter lager GOOD, *what else was in there........:drunk:* I remember 4 GOOD-REALLY GOOD and 2 OK out of the 6 in the sampler.

Don't dismiss the fact that your tastes can change in a short period of time. Several times, I almost dumped the first beer from a six-pack: Barely choking it down.A week later I decided to try another and really liked it.

+10 to this. Have had the same reaction, to DFH *****'s Brew. First glass I could barely choke down even after several other beers. Next time I tried it it was tasty.

I think people are just so much into the hop bombs that their taste buds have become dulled to the point of not being able to appreciate a pretty complex , although milder, beer like the Winter Lager. ... I guess my point is that Sam Adams is one company that generally does things right and I want them to continue to be around.

+100 to this. I do enjoy a hoppy beer, DFH 90 minute (have yet to try their 120) or other IPAs/IIPAs, even Michelob's Hop Hound. I've actually been impressed with the efforts by Michelob and Coors to produce other products. Sure, cynically they are cashing in on the craft beer explosion, but I do enjoy their non-typical brews when I can't pay 12 bucks for a 4 pack of DFH or 14 for Ommegang. And they make decent session beers.

But I also have to ask if I'm the only one to think that IPA/IIPAs are getting a bit too much press? It's almost as if they're the new trend, and you're not a cool fan of craft brewing unless you like beers with lots of IBUs. Sure the ABV is nice, and they do hit the spot once in a while, but I don't find myself drinking a 6er of 90min in an evening. To each his own, and I give mad props to Jim Koch and Sam C for what they're doing. They have each in their own way raised the bar for American beers, and influenced our craft. What were our options 20 years ago for decent American beer?

Back