Translating recipes with Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilFrog

Reaction score
I want to brew one of the Stone Vertical Epic recipes. On their site, they only list percentages of grain. I entered the grains into Beersmith and played around with the increase and decrease amount buttons until I got to the correct percentages. When I looked at the resultant grain bill, it seemed high to me (about 16.5 pounds). Is this the best way to use the program or is their some tool in the program that is tailored for converting percentages into weights where you have a known final volume (5 gallons of wort in this case)? Thanks.

I'm not familar with the Vertical Epic Recipes, but if I was creating a recipe from percentages, I would probably do it in Excel then take my results and put them into Beersmith. Not knowing anything about the recipe, type of beer, etc. I would say 16.5# is possible.

Isn't the Stone VE pretty strong? If its about as strong as I imagine, the 16.5lbs sounds right to me for 5 gallons. It will also depend on your efficiency of course, but that sounds like its in the ballpark IMO...

Phil, I was just about to ask this same question. Yes, the VE's are usually around 8 or 9%, so 16.5 pounds sounds about right if you have decent efficiency. I'm sure there's some database that has 5 and 10 gallon batches scaled out for homebrewers.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to break down and brew it. The VE ales are billed as being pretty strong. I'll let you know. Thanks again; enjoy the weekend.

and at $7 a pop up here in Oregon we could probably brew five gallons for the cost of five bottles. I think i'll be doing this one next week some time.

Back