Blonde Ale Matt's Summer Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmmille

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale us-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
15-30
Color
3-6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 73F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days @73F
Additional Fermentation
4 days @ 73F dry hop
Tasting Notes
Light, crisp, citrus, moderate hoppiness and clean finish
Brewed BIAB style

Grain:
4.8 lbs Pale Malt 2-row
2 lbs White Wheat
1 lb Rye
.80 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 10L

Total Grain: 8.60 lbs

Hops:
.50 oz Cascade @ 60
.50 oz Hallertauer @ 30
.50 oz Hallertauer + .50 oz Vanguard @ 5
.50 oz Citra @ flame out
.50 oz Citra dry hop at day 6 of secondary, dry hop 4 days.

Boil time: 60 minutes

Adjuncts:
1 tsp. Irish moss @ 15 minutes
.50 lbs Orange Blossom Honey @ 5 minutes
.50 lbs Orange Blossom Honey + 1.5 oz brown sugar + 1 gallon wort, after mash out, Boiled 5 minutes, added bak @ 15 minutes
Zest of 2 oranges and 2 lemons soaked in vodka, covered in refrigerator for 7 days (during Primary Fermentation). Add to start of Secondary Fermentation

Pre-boil amount: 7 gallons, Strike water heated to 168F. After BIAB grain added, temp dropped to 158F.

Mash time: 60 minutes.

Stirred almost constantly with heat off and temp went down to 153F after about 10 minutes. Maintained at 152 to 155 for remainder of mash time. Drained and re-submerged and drained 4 times (Tea bag style "sparge").

Mash out at 168F/15 minutes

Remove 1 gallon wort and boil 5 minutes with .50 lb honey and 1.5 oz brown sugar. Add a gallon of water to wort and begin boil. *

Follow boil schedule for hops, honey and Irish moss. Add back boiled wort and honey at 15 minutes.

Yeast rehydrated in boiled water, cooled to 74F.

Corn/priming sugar for bottling: 3 5/8 oz (3.625 oz) dissolved in 12 oz boiled water.

ABV 5.25%

* In the future, I will probably just add a gallon of additional water at the beginning of the boil and a full pound of honey plus the brown sugar at 5 minutes left in the boil.

This was a truly delicious brew. You gave me two bottles and I wanted 4 more! It was refreshing and crisp. I got the citrus right up front, it was a great refreshing beer.

Thanks! I was happy with the results, even though my mash in temp was all over the place. Maintaining 152F throughout would have been good. And the full pound of honey could have been added at 5 minutes left to boil, instead of pulling out wort and boiling it, etc. I put in my notes what I did; however, hindsight makes things better! But it is going to be good this weekend...I may have another bottle or two available ;0)

Back