AHS Rye Pale Ale Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
I'm doing this as a 5.5 gallon batch, boiling 3.5 gallons, still 2-3 weeks from the brew date but I'm just trying to get an idea as to what people think about it, whether I want to mess with it or brew it straight up.

Also adding an extra pound of Two-Row.
2 lbs. Rye Malt
.5 lbs. American Caramel 120°L
2.25 lbs. American 2-row
5.5 lbs. Extra Pale LME
1 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) 60 min
1 oz. Ahtanum (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) 15 min
1 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 3.8 %AA) 1 min
Yeast : WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Does anyone (AHS if they are online today) know where they get their liquid extra pale from? For beertools I just used Morgan's extra pale. Any thoughts on the hops too? I have some other american pale ale hops I could use to get the IBUs a little higher or to really kick up the hop aroma.

It looks good, but I would FWH the Cluster and add the Ahtanum at 5-10 then add the Willamette after flame out. Check out my Fat Owl recipe in my pulldown at read my hop schedule. With a partial boil you could add a little water the let it sit.

Looks tasty to me... jim's suggestion doesn't sound too bad to me either. Should turn out to have roughly the same IBU by making those changes, but get more out of your hops.

If you were unsure, FWH = first wort hop... supposed to give a smoother bitterness I believe and get a few more IBU out of the hops if I'm not mistaken? Never done it, but plan to try it soon...

I've brewed it...though it was late addition and I shifted the hopping slightly to account for that and move the difference into the aroma addition.

It was very good and would be equally tasty per their instructions.

awesome, im going to follow those hop suggestions in a few weeks when i brew it.

so I brewed this today...followed the instructions...moved the Cluster to FWH, and the Ahtanum was at 12 instead of 15...

OG only ended up at 1.044, at 75deg...so i was definitely off on the conversions in the PM...im going to assume it means the thermometer im using, which is my backup, is off. And that perhaps it also called for too much water - 2.5 gallons for 2.5lbs of grain?

Back