Will My Beer Be RUINED??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really concerned on my post boiled wort. First off I sanitize EVERYTHING, spray more than enough star San after I dip it in my bucket, but when my brother and I were holding the kettle pouring the wort into my carboy, a few very very tiny specs of that black burnt off stuff on the bottom of my kettle (from the flame) trickled into the wort. I tried scooping out as much as I could but they were honestly too small to deal with.

Is that something that could ruin my batch? I'm really concerned, any feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Ruin? no. Will it affect the taste? maybe - but nothing you can do now anyways so don't worry. Just chill and remember that beer is magical and hard to ruin.

Last beer I made, I put the wort chiller in to sanitize BEFORE attaching the hoses to it and it had standing water it from the last use, and as it heated up the standing water shot out and into the wort! Just cracked the first beer and it tastes great, but was worried I ruined it! But I suppose the water was boiling inside the chiller before it shot out.

ROOEEENED! I noticed something fuzzy growing under the thermometer in my brew kettle a couple of brew sessions ago. The beer turned out great. Infections happen, but usually not when you'd expect.

You might--*MIGHT*--get some burnt sugar flavors from it, depending on how much ended up in there. More likely is you'll never notice it, and all the flecks will settle out with time.

Everything will settle out, there will be no effect at all, you should stir more often.

I think you're probably fine. One day you'll look back on this thread and laugh. It's pretty tough to ruin beer. I mean, come on, it's beer!

daksin said:
I think you're probably fine. One day you'll look back on this thread and laugh. It's pretty tough to ruin beer. I mean, come on, it's beer!

I was just thinking, "I wonder if we took a poll of all the 'is my beer ruined?' threads, how many actually turned out ruined, and how many were minor mistakes or paranoia about nothing?" I totally understand being concerned about doing it right, but as long as you keep good sanitation and stick to kits or established recipes in the beginning, it really is pretty tough to irrevocably screw up a batch.

Back