Help with Framboise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a quick, no-frills Raspberry Framboise. If I do a 2.5 gallon batch and then add frozen fruit to a 3 gallon secondary, do I need to worry about additional fermentation from the fruit? Will my 3 gallon carboy blow?

Thanks!

You mean a raspberry lambic? That takes wild yeast and typically a long fermentation time. Framboise is just french for raspberry.

Hmm... I'm not sure what I mean then :p. I'm not doing the long fermentation. I guess it's not a lambic given I won't be using wild yeast. I'm doing a wheat & pilsner extract blend with some added corn sugar and using a dry ale yeast (Cooper?).

I'm going to dump a few pounds of partially thawed raspberries into the secondary. My concern is fermentation will start up again with the added fruit sugars and the blow off will have no where to go. Is this a rational fear?

Sounds like a raspberry fruit ale. You'll see some additional fermentation from the fruit, but it shouldn't be too bad. Rig up a blowoff tube if you're concerned.

I'm assuming I will want to keep the head room to a minimum in the secondary to reduce oxygen exposure, yes? If that isn't a concern, I could always use a larger secondary with an airlock.

Thanks so much for the help!

Headroom in the secondary is a bit less of a concern since you're adding fermentables.

Any thoughts on seed control? Can I sanitize a strainer and put it in the bottom of my bottling bucket and put the siphon hose right in it? Also, I'm looking for an almost champagne-like carbonation. Should I add anything at bottling time (additional yeast, sugar, etc...)?

Back