What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mission which is brewed by Widmer Brothers. I like most of their stuff but this line was really of IMO. I had the pale ale. The malt and hop character are completely separate. You can taste a great malt body and a great hop bitterness and aroma but its as if they just don't blend. It's really odd. Took me over a month to get through the 6 pack. I needed more bottles.

Sam Adams Baltic IPA isn't the worst but I'll never buy it again. The absolute worst that I'be had recently is Dixie. Only a spicy crawfish boil can cover that taste up.

I bought 3 bottles of Hofbrau Oktoberfest. Had one last night and it was mediocre at best. Just cracked another, still not good. I was just over in Munich a couple weeks ago and had some amazing oktoberfest beer. This is not one of them..I have one left...Anybody want it??

stevo4361 said:
Buffalo Bill Cody Beer, which I'm pretty sure you can only find in WY and MT. If you're in the area and want to try one, don't.

Is that the beer Eric Bischoff makes? How could it be bad? I mean look how well the WCW is doing these days...

I bought 3 bottles of Hofbrau Oktoberfest. Had one last night and it was mediocre at best. Just cracked another, still not good. I was just over in Munich a couple weeks ago and had some amazing oktoberfest beer. This is not one of them..I have one left...Anybody want it??

that's true, maybe because it's a kind of straightforward style, the freshness is what makes it famous in its origin.

So, what say you?

I say that this is pointless, since everyone's tastes are different. Your distaste of 3Floyd's Brian Boru is not going to change the fact that I enjoy it very much.

Go over to BeerAdvocate if you want to practice being a beer snob.

Epic's Fermentation without Representation... A pumpkin porter that was overly sweet and tasted more like a banana chocolate chip muffin than pumpkin.

I'll add my name to the long list of people that think Voodoo Doughnut is the worst beer ever made.

I'll add my name to the long list of people that think Voodoo Doughnut is the worst beer ever made.

This thread really make me excited to crack the bottle I have waiting for me.

At least I'll have a sweet pepto bismol colored bomber bottle to reuse.

I say that this is pointless, since everyone's tastes are different. Your distaste of 3Floyd's Brian Boru is not going to change the fact that I enjoy it very much.

Go over to BeerAdvocate if you want to practice being a beer snob.

How about you lighten up there buddy?

The point is a fun thread where we share our dislikes and find others love what we hate. I've seen several beers others hate that I like, doesn't offend me.

I'll second the voodoo, it was f'n nasty. 4 of us couldn't finish the bottle.

Third here for the Voodoo... Maybe it was because I was so psyched to try it and I built it up so much in my mind.. But it was terrible... really the worst beer I have ever had, including some skunked ones.

I didn't think it tasted like Bacon or Maple.. more like a mouth full of cloves that someone stuffed down their pants. And the aroma was nothing short of cold bacon greese...

I shudder even thinking about it.

There was this one beer called a "Raspberry Lambic" that I tasted at the Michigan Winter Beer Festival in GR (first year they held it at the ballpark).

It was so nasty the small sample I tried nearly made me puke. I gave it a few sips and ended up pouring it out in the snow. The next vendor felt bad for me so he rinsed my sample cup out with some IIPA.

The point is a fun thread where we share our dislikes and find others love what we hate. I've seen several beers others hate that I like, doesn't offend me.

Agreed. Based on the responses in this thread it seems like people are either responding with beers they don't care for or beers that are flat out poorly made. At least for me the title of "worst craft brew" goes to beers that are obviously flawed...

IffyG said:
Agreed. Based on the responses in this thread it seems like people are either responding with beers they don't care for or beers that are flat out poorly made. At least for me the title of "worst craft brew" goes to beers that are obviously flawed...

Like PBR? If it were a craft beer, of course :) it is a flawed beer, not unlike my response to your post.

Had a Tailgate IPA, out of San Diego, at a brewfest - tasted like green apple juice with a bit of beer and hops, maybe they rushed it for the event? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Worst I think was Flying Dog Raging ***** Belgian IPA - I think I paid $14 for a 6er. Worse than Rogue's voodoo maple

I didn't read through all 23 pages, so sorry if this is a repeat, but by far the worst beer I have ever had was the Pizza Beer:
http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.php

Just couldn't drink the stuff...

Another beer I had trouble swallowing was a beer from Green Flash (maybe their Imperial India Pale Ale? I'd have to look it up when I got home). Basically there was an overpowering garlic flavor that just did not go with beer in my opinion.

OBX Beer. Had the same label as you would find on a bumper sticker. I think it was a pale ale but it was just horrible.

The DFH/Stone/Victory creation Saison Du Buff. Like drinking beer made out of wood.

Saranac Maple Porter.

DFH120. Why on earth they would try to make a beer taste and affect you like jet fuel is beyond me.

I wouldn't say it's near the WORST ever, but I have to agree that it seems like a big gimmick. I love the 60 and 90 minute, but the 120 just tastes like vodka with a shot of 90 minute IPA. Nasty.

How about you lighten up there buddy?

Yeah. It IS fun complaining about things. Let's talk about airplane food and DMV lines next!

Yeah. It IS fun complaining about things. Let's talk about airplane food and DMV lines next!

Yup, it is fun complaining! Part of life, my friend. We complain, get it off our chest and feel a bit better that someone has heard us and may agree.

When's the last time you got food on a flight? Used to be if it was during a meal time, now it's only on flights 12+ hrs.

My DMV is fantastic. I love going there. They're fast, friendly, and I've yet in my 10 years in Lafayette been disappointed when going.

Again, the point is to first have fun, then provide folks of similar taste clues of brews to avoid. We're not looking for folks with sticks up their butts on this thread.

Yup, it is fun complaining! Part of life, my friend. We complain, get it off our chest and feel a bit better that someone has heard us and may agree.

When's the last time you got food on a flight? Used to be if it was during a meal time, now it's only on flights 12+ hrs.

My DMV is fantastic. I love going there. They're fast, friendly, and I've yet in my 10 years in Lafayette been disappointed when going.

Again, the point is to first have fun, then provide folks of similar taste clues of brews to avoid. We're not looking for folks with sticks up their butts on this thread.

complaining rules, i dont get why so many people are against critical discussion, its healthy and fun.

ive found over time that the people i get along with, it doesnt matter so much what they like, but what they hate (beer, music, life)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Flying Dog Raging ***** are both terrible. Both of them are like coating your tounge with baking soda mixed with lemon juice. Just aweful.

I just came back form GABF and had some great brews and one not so great. I was visiting oskar blues brewery which i admit i'm not a fan of their beers. I love sours and brought back some awesome sours. I saw on the menu that they have a soured ten fidy. I had a few soured stouts before and loved them but this one was horrible. To me it was a little soapy/an off flavor i cant put my fingers on and i could barely sip down the 4oz taster. That beer was horrible.

I'm not sure this is the worst commercial craft brew I've had, but I had Roscoe's Hop House IPA a couple weeks ago and couldn't finish it. Had to put it down the drain.

RoscoeIPA400.jpg

Thankfully, I bought it as a single.

I thought these were pretty bad excuses for an IPA.
2011-10-04-FourInHandIPA.jpg

saranac-ipa.jpg

I'm sure some people like them, but I won't buy them again.
Also +1 on the Sweetwater Blue. Puke.

I'll also add my voice to the Voodoo Maple Bacon. It tasted more like they mixed Guinness with rancid maple syrup, with bacon fat thrown in for good measure.

However, at least I was able to finish that one. I was at a beer tasting a few years ago and tried Cave Creek Chili Beer. I like spicy, but that was just so obnoxiously jalapeno-flavored. That's the first and only time that I've poured out a beer sample.

I think I am a bit too old and spoiled for this thread. I live in St Paul and have Summit Brewing as my go to guys. Never had a bad Summit.

I have friends come over with 10-15 dollar bombers and they usually end up drinking my homebrew, and taking their leftover bombers home.

I was in the the beerstore not to long ago watching this cute 22 y/o buying some beer for a party she was going to. She was asking about the 15 dollar Voodoo Donuts, and the sales person was selling her on them. I just laughed to myself and walked out with my 12 dollar 12 pack of EPA, thinking what a waste of money.

If anyone doubts that the craft beer bubble is coming they should read this thread.

Worst beer ever, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Three sips, and I had hop poisoning. I like hoppy beers but my stomach got so sick on this that I had to stop drinking. Not just stop drinking this beer, but stop drinking for the night.

I think I am a bit too old and spoiled for this thread. I live in St Paul and have Summit Brewing as my go to guys. Never had a bad Summit.

I have friends come over with 10-15 dollar bombers and they usually end up drinking my homebrew, and taking their leftover bombers home.

I was in the the beerstore not to long ago watching this cute 22 y/o buying some beer for a party she was going to. She was asking about the 15 dollar Voodoo Donuts, and the sales person was selling her on them. I just laughed to myself and walked out with my 12 dollar 12 pack of EPA, thinking what a waste of money.

If anyone doubts that the craft beer bubble is coming they should read this thread.

Worst beer ever, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Three sips, and I had hop poisoning. I like hoppy beers but my stomach got so sick on this that I had to stop drinking. Not just stop drinking this beer, but stop drinking for the night.

Me thinks the right thing to do would have been to save the young maiden from her impending buyer's remorse.

It is amazing the different tastes present. Some of the brews mentioned in this thread I think are very, very good.

For me, the only "craft brew" that I had to pour was actually one from one of my favorite breweries: Stone.

Their 16th Anniversary IPA was awful. I saw it on the shelf and was excited to see it, so I nabbed it without reading it. Then I find out that it is a lemon-infested vomit-inducer. I can't stand lemon in beer.

Back