Bubbling stopped after 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlewisedu42

Reaction score
Hi, I just finished brewing my very first batch. Bubbling started to occur 12 hours after I placed the wort into the fermenting bucket. However, it stopped bubbling after another 24 hours. My wort got down to about 62 degrees overnight because it got cold in the house. Is that what stopped the bubbling and should I try to worm it back up to 72 degrees? I'm kind of stressing over this. Any help would be great.
Rick

You don't need to do anything, nothing's wrong.

Fermentation hasn't stopped, BUBBLING has...it's NOT the same thing. An airlock is a vent for EXCESS co2, it's not a fermentation gauge. You had a daysof active fermentation, meaning lots of EXCESS co2 was being produced. But it's wound down now...that doesn't mean it's stopped...it's just slowing down as less sugar is still there to be eaten by the yeast. And as there is less sugar to be eaten, then the yeast are farting less....therefore there's no excess gass to need to be released. Doesn't mean they're not finished..

stepaway_copy-15858.jpg

Its also possible that the gases are leaking around the edge (if you're using a bucket fermenter). Best advice is to let it do its thing for the full week to week and a half. I generally leave mine in the primary for three weeks and then bottle.

My first batch had the same issue. The Fermentation lock was going nuts for the first 24 hours, then just stopped. I just remembered the phrase from the the book I bought, "Relax, have a home brew".

I've noticed that the first batch is probably the worst you are gonna make. I don't mean the beer will be bad necessarily. Its just our first time at the craft and we don't have the experience yet. I am one week from opening my first batch of Irish Red ale, and I wouldn't be surprised with a sweeter beer (FG 1.020) with off flavors and possibly a lack of carbonation.

Regardless, its all a learning experience. I bet you will be fine.

Agreed with all above comments. I have been brewing for a while now and till this day I still worry that something is going wrong with a brew. You have to have the self restraint not to start messing with it trying to fix what you THINK is wrong.

Keep calm and brew on, that's the best advice anyone can give. I am sure I am not alone that many home brewers are surprised to find that one of their best batches has been one that they thought went bad.

Hi, I just finished brewing my very first batch. Bubbling started to occur 12 hours after I placed the wort into the fermenting bucket. However, it stopped bubbling after another 24 hours. My wort got down to about 62 degrees overnight because it got cold in the house. Is that what stopped the bubbling and should I try to worm it back up to 72 degrees? I'm kind of stressing over this. Any help would be great.
Rick

I agree with everything above. Just leave it in there for three weeks before thinking about it again.

Also, your yeast are probably happier at 62 than 72. 70+ tends to produce yeast-specific off-flavors.

Thanks for all the advice. I will relax and let it run it's course. I am actually really enjoying the process and cannot wait to open my first bottle. Cheers!

Back