What is a BG14 Banjo burners correct height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyled93

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a quick question. I am trying to determine the correct distance my BG14's should be from my kettles. Can anyone offer some advice?

Right now I am about 6 to 7 inches away but this is causing additional heat to hit my Asco valves and other wiring.

I need to do something so I don't melt anything. My initial thought was too raise the burners but I wasn't sure what the ideal height should be.

I have attached a few photos to help visualize.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

ForumRunner_20120721_203208.jpg

ForumRunner_20120721_203232.jpg

ForumRunner_20120721_203300.jpg

I would think 3 to 4 inches would be the ball park. 6 inches seems way out in left field.

Fwiw, Blichmann sets their pot rests just under 3 inches above the BG14 nozzle tips, though one could surmise that's optimized for flat bottom kettles...

Cheers!

Thanks!

I have the pen-rose kettles with flat bottoms. I will drill a new hole for all the burners... Let's hope this prevents all the melting issues I've been having.

Crap, I just double checked. From the kettle to the burner is 3 and 5/8. Do you think it would be an issue if I moved it to 2 inches?

Jaybird said:
What about a heat shield? Just a thought.

Cheers
Jay

That was the next option. I figured if I move the burner up maybe an inch and add a heat shield I wouldn't have to re arrange all the mounting points. I guess I didn't realize how hot it really gets

Hi, The fire has some where to go? AKA, the pots need to be rased/ventied? so the heat and flue gasses don't get bounced back down.

Right now there are open gussets at each corner that are not covered. This is allowing for the exhaust gases to escape.

A bit of an update, I tried raising the burners and was as bit unsuccessful. It looks as if the burners are about an 1/8th of an inch to large and would require me to grind them down. Being that they are cast iron I'm not sure I want to do that.

As it stands now, it's looking like my only option is to add a heat shield and hope that works.

2" is working great for me. Just make sure there's plenty of exhaust space for the hot gasses to escape. Otherwise a lot of the heat/flame will be deflected downward to your gear.

I was wondering if that could be the issue too. I double checked last night and noticed that I have a 1" to .5" in each corner. should I do something to raise the kettle? Or just use a heat shield?

I didn't change anything. My height is about 6" from the bottom of my kettle. Works fine for my brutus and I typically go through about half a tank of propane during a brew day.

Good to know. Ill have our Brutus up and running in the next month or so. I was thinking of keeping my burners about 3-4" from bottom of pots. If I need a heat shield then so be it, but was not planing on putting any on.

Back