CDA/BIPA help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
My grain bill called for .75 lbs of Carafa III (Special). The LBHS only had Carafa II, and I'm not sure that it's special. So I have questions...

A) Is there any way to determine whether it's special or not from appearance or even tasting the grain?

B) If it is NOT special, what are my options? Add towards the end of the mash to limit the flavor? Eliminate it?

I've got some Crystal 80 and Chocolate in the grain bill, so I'd get some color if the Carafa is eliminated, but no where near as much.

Suggestions please...

A) Is there any way to determine whether it's special or not from appearance or even tasting the grain?

I would definitely taste it to compare. In fact, since you have the chocolate I would taste the chocolate malt and the carafa to compare the two. The chocolate should have more of the husk roast that the "special" versions shouldnt have. You should also be able to look at the grain and determine if the carafa still has a husk on it - especially if you compare it against the chocolate. the "special" should be dehusked.

B) If it is NOT special, what are my options? Add towards the end of the mash to limit the flavor? Eliminate it?

I know people do that, but i would still worry about getting too much of the roast. I remember reading about that in designing great beers. After reading your post i looked through the section on stout and couldnt find the section where he discusses his practices, but i think if you added it during the sparge you would be fine. I wonder if you could just add a grain bag full of the carafa to the kettle while you fill it up. Or even just a cold soak in some liquid?

Good luck!

Ok, so I tasted each. I had the Carafa II put on the side just in case I needed to use it as a steeping grain, so I know I didn't confuse it with the chocolate. The chocolate definitely has a bitterness/astringency, while the Carafa II is much smoother, with very little roasted/bitter flavors. I would assume it means that it is de-husked.

Even if it has more of a roasted flavor, would that necessarily be a bad thing?

It depends on if you are trying to hit a "style". I think it will be fine either way. Worst case scenario you just call it an American Stout. :)

Well, I definitely want some roasted/malt flavor (vs. a standard west coast IPA), otherwise, what's the point of making it black? Don't want to overdo it though.

Back