100A residential service with 2x5500W at same time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomGuy

Reaction score
So I want to be able to use 2x5500W at the same time, but am worried about tripping the main breaker if I do so (house has electric stove, AC, Drier). Doing the calcs, I should be drawing ~50A when I am running the system (might have a pump + small recirc heater at same time), which concerns me, as I want to be able to use the house at the same time.

Am I correct to be worried about this, and if so, what is a reasonable limit to use at one time (30A? 40A?) on a 100A main service?

You may have an issue tripping the house breaker if you are running the dryer and stove while you are drawing 50 amps for brewery

The 5500W elements are almost 23A each, so you'll be pulling maybe 50A at one time brewing. Just don't use the clothes dryer and air conditioner at the same time as you're brewing, and you'll likely be fine.

Youll be fine. just dont run the stove, oven, ac, microwave, dryer and mashing machine all while youre brewing :)

Put in a 60 or a pair of 30 amp breakers and you'll be fine. It's just like adding a big hot tub and those are usually 40-50 amps and they don't trip the main.

A reasonable amount to draw on a 100amp service is 80-90 amps.

Your stove doesn't draw 50 amps unless you are using all the burners and the oven at the same time so that shouldn't be a problem either. The only thing that might cause trouble is if your A/C kicks on because of the motor load during startup but even then unless you're doing laundry, cooking thanksgiving dinner with all the lights on and brewing beer at the same time on a 100 degree day I bet you'll be ok.:)

Yeah, I believe that a safe, recommended use is 80% capacity, and if you put in a 60A breaker you should be more than fine. With both running you will be drawing roughly 46A of current, so as long as you aren't running the dryer and other high current requiring equipment, I think it would be fine.

Back