Roselare Repitch Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I just brewed another Flanders Red and racked it onto about half of a cake from a Flanders that has been sitting for a few months.

On brew day, I moved the first flanders over to secondary and then racked the new one onto the old cake but I took out a cup or two because I didn't want to over pitch. (I know this can be debated with Roselare).

So it's been 48 hours and no activity. Should I be concerned? I know it can be a bit of a slow worker, but even my original pitch took off before 48 hours. I saved the 2 cups of slurry that I removed from the carboy, and I'm wondering if I should throw it back in? Thoughts?

I just brewed another Flanders Red and racked it onto about half of a cake from a Flanders that has been sitting for a few months.

On brew day, I moved the first flanders over to secondary and then racked the new one onto the old cake but I took out a cup or two because I didn't want to over pitch. (I know this can be debated with Roselare).

So it's been 48 hours and no activity. Should I be concerned? I know it can be a bit of a slow worker, but even my original pitch took off before 48 hours. I saved the 2 cups of slurry that I removed from the carboy, and I'm wondering if I should throw it back in? Thoughts?

I did this exact thing ( with full yeast cake) about 3 weeks ago. It took off the next day.

I did this exact thing ( with full yeast cake) about 3 weeks ago. It took off the next day.

Yea, that's what I would expect with a Re-pitch, even Roselare. So would you add the rest of the slurry that I saved?

I've done the same thing, and my previous slurry took a while to start as well. I gave mine about a week, with frequent grav checks, and when i determined it wasn't going anywhere i pitched a new packet of Roeselare and standard Sacc yeast. Worked just fine.

In general, though, from what i understand, the Roeselare blend is a slow starter (cake or fresh pitch).

Just last month I re-pitched on to a 13-month old cake. I gave it two days of no activity before I pitched more Sacc yeast. I wanted to let the lacto get a head start.

At 13 months I feel pretty confident that all the original Sacc yeast has lost its vability or was used as food for Brett. I bit that happened to you in about 7 months.

It shouldn't have hurt much to add the yeast 7 days later as long as your lacto was somewhat active and drove the pH down to limit the amount of enterobacteria.

Got home from work and it was raging. :mug: Thanks for the feedback though.

Latest posts

Back