Kegcowboy 50 Plate Chiller - Flow direction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HempelNet

Reaction score
I have just received my 50 plate chiller from kegcowboy but the sticker on the top has been almost completely worn off. Before I use this I would like to figure out which wort line to use in order to go against the ridges.

There is an arrow type marking on one of the ports as pictured below. Could someone who has one of these tell me the flow directions please.

Chiller.jpg

I have no idea which one goes against the ridges, but it's 50 plates - it's going to chill the eff out of your wort no matter what. My sticker had no such markings.

I've done In-1/Out-3 and In-3/Out-1 and In-2/Out-4 and In-4/Out-2 - they all cooled the wort down seriously quick.

Just make sure the wort in is the opposite direction flow as the water in.

I don't think that is sufficient. I once asked John Blichmann whether I could reverse the direction of both fluids on the Therminator (I think it has 40 plates), and he said no, the flow patterns are designed to work in only one direction. The chilling efficiency goes way down when the directions are reversed.

Answered a couple posts up. As per the manufacturer, dudadiesel, there is absolutely no difference in performance with direction of flow as long as the wort and water flow opposite. The ridges don't matter.

I swap which one is the wort channel every brew as an extra means of cleaning.

edit: oh, guess you deleted your post.. nvrmnd!!

Back