Propane tank icing/losing pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tidehouse

Reaction score
My propane tank ices up after going for about an hour which leads to loss of pressure to my burner (30psi banjo cooker). Eventually it gets to the point where I cant maintain a boil. Luckily I had a spare but I'd like to figure out a better way. Anyone else experience this or know of any solutions? (I assume a larger tank would help but that's not in the budget at this point)

I have the KAB6 and brewed this past Monday for the first time with it. It got kinda cold but the pressure never dropped . Is it possible you have it too high? It kept a rolling boil, but I know I didnt have it set to max.

I have one of the old 5 gal galvanized wash tubs that I use. Set the tank in and pour 2 or 3 gals of water in, the water doesn't have to be hot. Works great.

Agree with everyone else, but I have a cool story with my reply.

When I was a teenager, I worked at Six Flags in St. Louis and drove the big steam train. It was powered off of 4 or 6 250lb propane pots, 1" line @ up to 45 psi. (Talk about a flame) We always had icing / pressure loss when the flow was high, tanks low, and cool days (like this time of year).

Our solutions were:
Use less
Fill the tanks
Stop and pour outside temp water on the tanks to "heat" them up.

John

What they said, either reduce the propane flow, or increase the tank temp. You're seeing a demonstration of refrigeration. When the liquid propane changes to a gas, it gets way cold. Good Luck

same options as listed. bigger tank, lower reg pressure or find a way to keep the tank warm.

you can shake the tank, but thats only going to give you a couple minutes before it freezes again.

try keeping it in water like said above, or you could use a heating pad or electric blanket.

#1 option would be a bigger tank

same options as listed. bigger tank, lower reg pressure or find a way to keep the tank warm.

you can shake the tank, but thats only going to give you a couple minutes before it freezes again.

try keeping it in water like said above, or you could use a heating pad or electric blanket.

#1 option would be a bigger tank

Agreed anything else will not solve the problem. The propane is being pulled so hard its freezing.
If you place it in water it will freeze to the bottom. (depending on how hard its pulling and for how long). I have done so i know.

Not to keep repeating the fact.... but you are using the propane faster than it can become a gas. My propane guy told me that I needed a bigger tank so Im into a 100 pounder now. Thats the reason the home LP tanks are on their side ... more surface area of liquid ... easier to keep that equalibrium.

Back