Falstaff Tapper 228 oz. Keg (w/cooler) - Great buy or junk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerStreetBeers

Reaction score
This thing showed up on my local Craigslist and I could not pass it up:
DSCF17271.JPG

It's a 228 oz Reynolds aluminum "Tapper" keg with it's own little cooler. Branded for Falstaff.

It opens up so you can take the keg out.

DSCF1730.JPG

Obviously I want to adapt the keg for use as a homebrewing container. It's wonderfully portable and much easier than filling bottles out of the kegerator. Could also be a good way to do some cask conditioning and/or experimental partial batches.

Online searches haven't turned up much info besides the fond memories that people have of the "Tapper" kegs. They were introduced in the early 60's and ended up being a money loser because people did not bring the kegs back. Apparently most people just kept the things in their fridge, but the specialized cooler would certainly have been a primo appliance for your dorm room or bachelor pad.

Here's what the non-tap end of the keg looks like:
DSCF1731.JPG

The white plastic piece (where it says don't tamper) is held in place by a metal ring, which in turn is held in a slot. The metal ring has a gap and you can push the ring further into the slot by enlarging the gap -- for example by putting a pair of needle nose pliers in there and opening them. If you do this, the ring no longer covers the edge of the white plastic. However, this does not in any way free up the white plastic piece, which is apparently attached to whatever is underneath it.

Unless anyone here has any ideas, I think i'm going to have to destroy the white plastic piece to see what's under there.

The thing I'm worried about is all the plastic. Plastic taps are going to be a great way to harbor bacteria. Is there any place to order replacement parts? If so this would be a killer deal setup just for the nostalgia and being different.

I just came across your post about the kegs. I have the same setup, electric cooler & 2 kegs. Behind the plastic is the co2 cartridge thats snapped in with a retainer clip. What, if I may ask, did you pay for this? I'm thinking of unloading mine and I'm curious.
Thanks, Rick.

Just today I pulled out the mini keg that my Dad saved in hopes of brewing his own beer. I have five gallons of Nut Brown Ale ready to start its fermenting process within the next day. I figure I'd check out the option of kegging vs. bottling.

Low and behold the keg that my Dad saved is a Falstaff 228oz. Mini keg. I washed it up and looked at the back where it does state "Contents under pressure. Do not tamper with." Of course that did not stop me. Knowing that the keg was empty and that there is no pressure contained within I started peeling away at the snap ring on the back of the keg. It took two screwdrivers but after about five minutes of work and hearing the last bit of pressure being released I got the keg open. Then to my surprise I saw an integral CO2 cartridge that was used to charge the keg. Now my quest is to find a company that will re-fill this cartridge so I can restore my mini keg back to its GLORY DAYS. Any advise or help on where to get this cartridge re-filled would be helpful. Thanks.

I just came across your post about the kegs. I have the same setup, electric cooler & 2 kegs. Behind the plastic is the co2 cartridge thats snapped in with a retainer clip. What, if I may ask, did you pay for this? I'm thinking of unloading mine and I'm curious.
Thanks, Rick.

Have you had any luck in getting the CO2 cartridge re-filled or replaced?

It's worth nothing to a homebrewer... at least mine wasn't worth anything to me... I did open it up and the epoxy they have over the aluminum was worn off in spots... I wouldn't drink anything out of it...

Back