Looking for Soda input...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanG

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Corny keg, along with the fixings to set it up to carbonate water. I enjoy a nice glass of carbonated water, slice of fruit, club soda does not cut it.

Reading around I see all these concentrated Soda Syrups. I do not allow my boys to have soda very often, but if I can take the Corn Syrup out, and replace it with Sugar and or Splenda, that would be much better.

Question is, if I make concentrate into syrup, and store it in a quart jug with a 1oz pump on it, could I make a good glass of soda with ice, 2 pumps and top off with my carbonated water... stir and enjoy?

How long would syrup last in the fridge next to the keg? I am hoping that I may have a nice single system that would meet the whole families needs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan

I keep a keg of soda water on tap and both make and buy (sodaclub) concentrates. I don't know how long they can last, but it is at least four months.

Perfect...
anyone try the Rio Concentrates? I was reading a site that listed 60 flavors, and some really yummy sounding combinations. Creamacicle would be a hit here!

I make my own sodas, I use both extracts and boil stuf down and make a simple syrup out of it. My daughters favorite is rasberry, and lemon lime. I use club soda to carbonate. I did not want to deny my kids a little treat every now and then, so I use organic sugar, and usually cut the recipe down a little. I do not want to, and will not give them high fructose corn syrup. You said something about splenda, do not use that stuff, the only thing worse then sugar is artificial sugar. Use organic sugar, or I have used some agave nectar as well, and that turned out pretty good. my favorite is ginger ale, 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp grated ginger, 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and the juice of one lemon, add it to a 2 liter bottle, and put in a warm place for two days, AWESOME. I increase the ginger, cause I like it to have a little bite. good stuff, and it helps if you have consumed too many adult beverages and have a little stomach upset.

Back