first bad batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
Well, I had a belgian strong ale go south on me...

when I tried it (too early) I was upset that the yeast kept mixing up with the beer. Now, several weeks later, the grolsh bottles open with an explosive force that hurts my hand and the whole bottle of fluid shoots out as foam. if opened upside down, it actually tries to propel the bottle out of my hand (these are grolsch bottles). I had a couple of amstel light bottles full too, and I wrapped those in a towel to pick them up and uncapped through the towel (afraid the bottles might burst). It still gave quite the geyser, even through the towel....

It has sort of a vomity smell to it too...

Dang, i had spent so much time on that batch.

I was suspicious of it since the beginning, since it has an abnormally large layer of deposits at the bottom of the bottle.

Now I am concerned about the cream ale I just bottled friday, as it has pretty hefty bottle deposits too. :(

Hmm...any possible holes in your sanitation? Do you use plastic buckets as fermenters, maybe they have scratches? Wooden spoon?

i had the same problem............instead of bottling i got a second fementer with the tap quite high up to let all the yeast settle properly b4 i bottled it..........i wasted most of a batch cos of all the seddiment at the bottom of the bottles now there is hardly any through just letting it settle in the secondry fementer for a week

I had a similar situation happen with a batch of cranberry ale I made about a year and a half ago. In regards to the carbonation, are you sure it was done fermenting before you bottled it? I had some bottle bombs in a braggot I didn't let ferment out the whole way.

BREW ON:mug:

it might be worth u getting a secondry fementer with a tap on and banging ur cream ale in it for a week or two then rebottling otherwise when its carbonated the fizz is gonna disturb all the sediment and ur gonna get all clumps in your beer......i ended up gettin a bout half a pint of clear beer out of litre bottles b4 the sediment was mixed in...................or if u have any spare bottles now is try and sython it off now u would get rid of a lot of it

I suspect you bottled too early. Since you used fliptops, chill them as close to freezing as you can. Then flit the top and let the gas off. Reclose.

By the way, strong Belgians should smell like vomit.:ban: Or way too much banana.

I bottled the cream ale (the one I just bottled friday, not the original begian ale that went in the drain last night) while the waterlock was still marginally active. However the FG had dropped to pretty much exactly the spec that the recipe called for.

Opening those grosh bottles was really something. it felt like firecrackers went off in my hand every time I popped the top off of one...

so you guys are suggesting to pour the recently bottled cream ale back into a secondary for a while and then re-bottle?

what ive been doing to get every last drop of the precious brew is the last few bottles worth that i used to bin down the drain is bottle it and let the sediment settle after a couple of days is decant to another clean bottle and then add the sugar...there like a few days behind the rest of the batch so i just stick em in the cupboard and forget bout em till im running low......................im using screw top p.e.t bottles so its easy to do....maybe if u had a few spare bottles u could decant it now b4 it carbonates i would if i was you cause otherwise you will be binning that in few weeks time

Back